thank you for the best music player i've ever used, on any system.

General discussions
teklife

thank you for the best music player i've ever used, on any system.

Post by teklife »

because my once great laptop kept getting cripplingly horribly slow, i had switched to MX Linux, from Ubuntu, and it was easy to get Guayadeque in their ugly but great MX Package Manager, i think only the flatpak was available, or, on one of the repos.

i now have a new laptop and i'm happily using Ubuntu Studio, it's nice to be on Ubuntu again, but, sadly, it's no longer so easy to find, or discover, great software anymore. some things have gotten better, i actually do think containerized apps are great for packaging purposes, but i miss the days when Guayadeque, as well as many other great software which i used to use, and which were available in the repos, are no longer there. things seem to have peaked at 14.04.

i tried to build Guayadeque, and i followed the instructions, installed all the prerequisite software, and still ended up with this error message

Code: Select all

make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.
which i had to google, and found no solution.

fortunately, the add repository and install from repo commands worked like a charm, but since there was no guayadeque in the repos, i was briefly using the pre-installed player, called Elisa, which, is not bad, but Guayadeque is just so much better in just about every way. can't think of a single thing Elisa, or any other player does better, for my needs.

But elisa wasn't great, so i tried others, i tried every music player in the software stores (discover, gnome, and muon) and there was only lollipop, clementine, juk, and sayonara(that's all!!!), and frankly, all are decent, and only clementine approaches guayadeque features-wise, but they're all freaking irritating, if i double click a track, it does not play, but auto adds to a freaking playlist, grrrrr, or, i can click the play button on elisa, to play rather than add to playlist, F THAT!!

back on guayadeque now, i just double click to play a fucking track! wow! amazing! well, that's just how it should be. and the add to a playlist, it's STUPID EASY on Guayadeque, AND there are keyboard shortcuts right there to teach you how to do it even faster with keys!!!

Guayadeque is so under-appreciated it's not even funny, and its so sad that it's no longer in the Ubuntu repos, since, i think even 16.04 it wasn't there, which is really sad, because, like this, how are people to know and discover Guayadeque, the best music player in history?

why is it not in the Ubuntu repos for years now? or even packaged as a containerized app? appimage, snap, or flatpak? that would be nice.

well anyway, i didn't post this to ask for help, but any reply is appreciated, even if to learn about what did i do wrong with the building of Guayadeque, or to simply know that and ordinary(not dev/programmer), power user of linux since 2009(mac refugee) can't get it working, and that there must be something wrong with the build instructions, and to lament the fact that this great music player is not in the repos and it should be/wish it would be, and also to lament in general the sad state of the software stores, on Ubuntu at least.

oh and finally, last but certainly not least, a huge thanks and show of appreciation to anyone and everyone who made Guayadeque happen, and continue to exist. Guayadeque is a nearly perfect music player and by far the best i've ever used, and i'm so glad i was lucky enough to have discovered it, and i hope others can and will too.
anonbeat

Re: thank you for the best music player i've ever used, on any system.

Post by anonbeat »

teklife wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:18 am because my once great laptop kept getting cripplingly horribly slow, i had switched to MX Linux, from Ubuntu, and it was easy to get Guayadeque in their ugly but great MX Package Manager, i think only the flatpak was available, or, on one of the repos.

i now have a new laptop and i'm happily using Ubuntu Studio, it's nice to be on Ubuntu again, but, sadly, it's no longer so easy to find, or discover, great software anymore. some things have gotten better, i actually do think containerized apps are great for packaging purposes, but i miss the days when Guayadeque, as well as many other great software which i used to use, and which were available in the repos, are no longer there. things seem to have peaked at 14.04.

i tried to build Guayadeque, and i followed the instructions, installed all the prerequisite software, and still ended up with this error message

Code: Select all

make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.
which i had to google, and found no solution.

fortunately, the add repository and install from repo commands worked like a charm, but since there was no guayadeque in the repos, i was briefly using the pre-installed player, called Elisa, which, is not bad, but Guayadeque is just so much better in just about every way. can't think of a single thing Elisa, or any other player does better, for my needs.

But elisa wasn't great, so i tried others, i tried every music player in the software stores (discover, gnome, and muon) and there was only lollipop, clementine, juk, and sayonara(that's all!!!), and frankly, all are decent, and only clementine approaches guayadeque features-wise, but they're all freaking irritating, if i double click a track, it does not play, but auto adds to a freaking playlist, grrrrr, or, i can click the play button on elisa, to play rather than add to playlist, F THAT!!

back on guayadeque now, i just double click to play a fucking track! wow! amazing! well, that's just how it should be. and the add to a playlist, it's STUPID EASY on Guayadeque, AND there are keyboard shortcuts right there to teach you how to do it even faster with keys!!!

Guayadeque is so under-appreciated it's not even funny, and its so sad that it's no longer in the Ubuntu repos, since, i think even 16.04 it wasn't there, which is really sad, because, like this, how are people to know and discover Guayadeque, the best music player in history?

why is it not in the Ubuntu repos for years now? or even packaged as a containerized app? appimage, snap, or flatpak? that would be nice.

well anyway, i didn't post this to ask for help, but any reply is appreciated, even if to learn about what did i do wrong with the building of Guayadeque, or to simply know that and ordinary(not dev/programmer), power user of linux since 2009(mac refugee) can't get it working, and that there must be something wrong with the build instructions, and to lament the fact that this great music player is not in the repos and it should be/wish it would be, and also to lament in general the sad state of the software stores, on Ubuntu at least.

oh and finally, last but certainly not least, a huge thanks and show of appreciation to anyone and everyone who made Guayadeque happen, and continue to exist. Guayadeque is a nearly perfect music player and by far the best i've ever used, and i'm so glad i was lucky enough to have discovered it, and i hope others can and will too.
Thank you for your comments.

If you add more details on what you did I may be able to help you tu build but I think the best option to install in Ubuntu based distros is via my ppa.

Regards
teklife

Post by teklife »

thank you, the ppa worked fine. just so glad this great software is still supported. so much good stuff i've used has fallen to the wayside :-(

why did Guayadeque stop being in the Ubuntu repos?
Last edited by teklife on Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

teklife wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:12 am why did Guayadeque stop being the Ubuntu repos?
The package maintainer stopped working on it.
teklife

Post by teklife »

thanks for your reply, now i know why.

is it hard to find a package maintainer?

i assume you're the dev/creator right anonbeat? is packaging maintainer hard to do? do containerized apps help with that? sorry for my ignorance.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

teklife wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:07 pm thanks for your reply, now i know why.

is it hard to find a package maintainer?

i assume you're the dev/creator right anonbeat? is packaging maintainer hard to do? do containerized apps help with that? sorry for my ignorance.
I do my own packages. The ppa are packages done by me. But Im not a debian packager.
teklife

Post by teklife »

well, i lament that i can't help with that, i'm just a lowly cook who loves free software and linux based OSs, but i hope someone here on this forum will be able to assist you with that. it would be so nice to see it in the repos again.

all the best.
Kain

Post by Kain »

Nothing to add, just posting this in the hope that someone with the time and skill will see this.
Yes, a flatpak would be awesome! It would open Guayadeque up to all the other distros.I recently installed Linux Mint Debian on my laptop, and Guadeque is the only program I want but can't get.
Thankfully I still got my desktop.
teklife

Post by teklife »