how rip audio cd's with guay

General discussions
ralphl

how rip audio cd's with guay

Post by ralphl »

I am trying find a replacement for K3b for ripping audio cd's, since K3b can no long automatically find Album, Artist, Song Name information and use it in the destination folder. I am trying to use Guay for that purpose, but I don't know how to rip with it. Would somebody explain how to rip Audio CDs with Guay?????
anonbeat

Re: how rip audio cd's with guay

Post by anonbeat »

You should open the audiocd view and edit the tags if needed. Once all this is done you can right click on the tracks you want to rip and use the Copy to option and use the copy to option preferred. If no one meet your needs you can create a new one.
foxtrot

Post by foxtrot »

If I may join in here with my problem:
ripping basically works, and the possibility of saved options is convenient, but:
It always rips the first title of the CD, no matter what I have marked - one title, several titles, including the first one or not. I end up with files with the right file names, but the song I hear is always the first of the CD. Files are all the same size, too - should be if it's always the same song.
I can't imagine what I could have done wrong - ?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

I will take a look

Thanks for reporting the problem.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

I uploaded some changes that it should fix the problem. Please update and let me know.

Thanks again for reporting it.
foxtrot

Post by foxtrot »

Thank you so far!

Hm, update, update... I can't find any information how to update (not in the manual, too), let alone a link where I can get the update... wouldn't it be convenient to include this information in this board somewhere? Like somewhere central, as I can't search the board for "update", because it's a "too common word"... User manual would be a good place, too.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

foxtrot wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:08 am Thank you so far!

Hm, update, update... I can't find any information how to update (not in the manual, too), let alone a link where I can get the update... wouldn't it be convenient to include this information in this board somewhere? Like somewhere central, as I can't search the board for "update", because it's a "too common word"... User manual would be a good place, too.
If you installed via my ppa then the update will come next time you update the system. If you installed via source code you must recompile the application with the latest changes applied. If you installed via a distribution package you must wait till the package maintainer updates it.
foxtrot

Post by foxtrot »

anonbeat wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:41 pm If you installed via my ppa then the update will come next time you update the system. If you installed via source code you must recompile the application with the latest changes applied. If you installed via a distribution package you must wait till the package maintainer updates it.
OIC, thank you!
I had the ppa AFAIR, so I just have to wait...
foxtrot

Post by foxtrot »

...triggered a system update now manually, and there it was.
And the ripped files contain the right songs now. But I marked 8 titles (title 3,4,5,6,7,12,16,17), and only 3 were ripped (3,4,16)...?

And a minor flaw: Guay announces the end of the copying much sooner as it actually is...
foxtrot

Post by foxtrot »

...after a new start later this works fine, too (and went surprisingly fast). Like the update wasn't fully effective before. And now the track titles and the artist are right, too... all around improvements. So I deleted the former files and rip them again - that takes the usual time. Like the missing files before were "somewhere", but not yet in the target folder...
...CD drive finished working and nothing appeared in the target folder or anywhere else. Try it again - runs long again... 5 of 6 newly ripped titles appear in the target folder, 3 of them appear in Guay after reloading my collection.
Looks like this:
Bildschirmfoto von 2021-09-19 19-45-10.png
file folder looks like this:
Bildschirmfoto von 2021-09-19 19-47-57.png
I restore the missing file (track 4) from the trash can - this appears in Guay like the first three in the screenshot. Track 3 and 17 are still not here. All from the same CD...

Hm, I just opened the two missing in a different program - a completely unrelated title (but existing in my collection) appears in that window... and they appear in Guay with that title. What?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.