Automatically save playlists?

General discussions
musiclover

Automatically save playlists?

Post by musiclover »

I'd like to set up Guyadeque so that when I close (or open) the program, the playlists automatically save any changes I made.

For clarity, I don't mean the "Player Playlist" left hand column that tells which songs are currently selected for playing. And I don't mean the "Static playlists" list that shows in the Playlists view of My Music tab. I mean my folder of .m3u files as displayed in the Dolphin file manager, which are supposed to be copies/ backups of the "Static playlists" in the Playlists view of My Music tab.

So right now, I'm playing my library at random and think "aha! This song would be perfect for my "Cheer" playlist!" I save the song to the "Cheer" playlist. The next time I open Guauadeque, the song is indeed in that playlist. But I open my playlist folder and see that file "Cheer.m3u" has not been modified today. This means that that folder of .m3u files is a rapidly aging set of backups of what my playlists used to look like. I would like them to be up-to-the-minute backups.

I wonder if part of the problem is my setup. There is a "My Music" tab with four icons: My Library view, Album Browser view, Tree view, and Playlists view. My current playlists are all displayed in the Playlist view of the "My Music" tab. But if I go into the "playlists" tab instead of "My Music", I don't have any playlists showing under Static playlists. If I right click and select "Import", it opens a browse window and I select the "Cheer.m3u" playlist, but nothing shows up under Static playlists in the playlist tab. (This process only works in the "My Music" tab.)

In Preferences, under General, I have "Save playlist on close" selected. (But I also have "Ask confirmation no exit" selected, and it never asks.)
anonbeat

Re: Automatically save playlists?

Post by anonbeat »

Hello,
the playlists are scanned while you update the collection if you have that setting enabled for the collection but its not saved when the playlist is changed. The playlist are not synchronized with the original files it was imported from. For the same reason that if you export a playlist at a certain time with a name and then later you change the playlist it will not be change that previous exports you made. So you can import a playlist and edit it and use it and if you need that playlist exported you can use the export option.
If you import a playlist and no tracks appears the most probably reason is that the tracks was not found in the collection.

About the ask permission when close the application it was a bug with the option enabled when 'Integrate with sound menu' was enabled. When its integrated with sound menu that option should be greyed out.

Hope this helps
Regards
JRios
musiclover

Post by musiclover »

Thanks for your reply, JRios! I'm getting that there's no option in Guayadeque for the .m3u files to automatically stay updated/ synchronized with the playlists in Guayadeque. I'm pretty sure it used to do this on a previous install I had - if anyone has a way to make that work, please post!

Regarding importing an .m3u and having no tracks appear: it works when I import into the "My Music" tab as described in my original post, and it does not work when I'm trying to do it inside the "playlists" tab. Same .m3u file.

I don't understand what this means: "About the ask permission when close the application it was a bug with the option enabled when 'Integrate with sound menu' was enabled. When its integrated with sound menu that option should be greyed out." If you think there's an action I should take, please let me know what that would look like. Much appreciated.
Fearless

Post by Fearless »

I'm having the same issue.
Guayadeque lets me import the m3u files, playlists but nothing shows anywhere.
I'm trying to transition from media monkey to guayadeque but if this doesn't work i'm going to have to use another player.
I really like guayadeque so hopefully someone can help with a solution
thanks
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Fearless wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:58 pm I'm having the same issue.
Guayadeque lets me import the m3u files, playlists but nothing shows anywhere.
I'm trying to transition from media monkey to guayadeque but if this doesn't work i'm going to have to use another player.
I really like guayadeque so hopefully someone can help with a solution
thanks
What is your problem with playlists ?
Fearless

Post by Fearless »

I exported the playlist file from media monkey
They are now m3u files
I go to My Music and go to the last icon for playlists
Then I right click on the static or dynamic playlist icon > import > select playlist to import > enter new name for playlist (I leave the same name)
After this no message appears so it seems the procedure worked
The playlist I just imported is not detected or shown by guayadeque
Maybe guayadeque doesn't recognize m3u files for playlists?
Thanks for the help
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Fearless wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:00 pm I exported the playlist file from media monkey
They are now m3u files
I go to My Music and go to the last icon for playlists
Then I right click on the static or dynamic playlist icon > import > select playlist to import > enter new name for playlist (I leave the same name)
After this no message appears so it seems the procedure worked
The playlist I just imported is not detected or shown by guayadeque
Maybe guayadeque doesn't recognize m3u files for playlists?
Thanks for the help
Can you do it all the same but running from console and see if there is any message on the console ?

If no message but the playlist doesn't appear in the static playlist can you send me the playlist to my email please ?

Thanks for your help
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Also be aware that the tracks the playlist has must be in the library. I mean that the tracks must be previously scanned.
Fearless

Post by Fearless »

The tracks are in a new hard drive.
Media Monkey shows is a grayish font the files/songs that are on the playlist but cannot be found.
I assumed Guayadeque would have a similar function or display a message that the song/file on the playlist wasn't found.
I don't know if Guayadeque does this
Fearless

Post by Fearless »

Can you direct me on how to run it from console?
I couldn't find that option in Guayadeque so I don't know how to do it.
Once I know how I will try what you suggest and if it doesn't work I will gladly send you the m3u file.
Thanks