Skipping audio, maybe gstreamer?

General discussions
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

I'm sure this has been asked, but I can't find any mention of it and don't know why so I'm asking here and now.

This is on openSUSE 12.1, Gnome 3, 64bit, 8gb ram, amd e350 cpu, ~10k track library. Cpu is around %50 average when playing, memory usage stays around 900-1200 average. The problem is currently with a ~3000kbps flac, this was a vinyl rip and is very clean. The skipping also happens sometimes with wma files, but that probably uses a different library?

i have tons of gstreamer listings so I'm not too sure what guaya uses, but I see various gstreamer libs, devel, plugins, etc.
kovtunos

Post by kovtunos »

I have such problem in Suse too. It seems this is Suse audio system problem. Other not gstreamer player such as mpg123 (even on playing mp3 files with bitrate 320kbps in clean console not loading any DE) loads cpu on 15-20%.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Thank you kovtunos for clarify its distro related. I dont see any bad behaivour here using oneiric or maverick
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

I agree it may be distro related, but I was really asking what might be causing the problem.

To begin with, this is only happening with certain things like I mentioned, most commonly it happens with high bitrate flacs, and it happens with wmas, so I was wondering if anyone might know what gstreamer I _should_ have installed or what might be something to try??
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

In Ubuntu for flac files you need gstreamer0.10-plugins-good, and for wma you need gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly.
You can also try gstream0.10-ffmpeg that handles lots of formats.