Sorting by title, album, ratings ect. in playlists

Garak

Post by Garak »

Hi,
I`m using dynamic playlists a lot. It would be better performance, to can sort this playlist by title, albums, ratings ect. It`s only a suggestion for the next version.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

well in dynamic playlists you can define the sort criteria.
Do you think it makes sense that a 'static' playlist should be sorted in the tracks list ?
Who else supports this request ?

Thanks for your help
kovtunos

Post by kovtunos »

Yes, static playlists must have sorting function.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

I think that the Sort Criteria should be enabled only when Limit To is used. For the other dynamic playlists and all static playlists, it should be possible to sort them using the column headers.
Rhythmbox does this.
mekanix

Post by mekanix »

I agree with tamalet!
camaron

Post by camaron »

tamalet wrote:I think that the Sort Criteria should be enabled only when Limit To is used. For the other dynamic playlists and all static playlists, it should be possible to sort them using the column headers.
Rhythmbox does this.

I think this is a very interestig proposition and I can see the advantages, BUT:

As things are now, if you choose Random as the sorting criteria (and I always do), Guayadeque always re-makes the playlist everytime it is used (from soundmenu, as Allow filter, from the playlist tab, etc). This is incredible useful because it allows you to just start playing your dynamic playlist as a kind of radio stream and it always will start with -and choose- different tracks.

I'm not clear how this behaviour could be kept with the proposed model as a playlist would always have an (pre)-established order.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

@Camaron
That's a good tip I didn't know. And it's also a good point, because if you define a Dynamic Playlist with, for instance, Genre is Rock, Limit To 20 Tracks and Sort By Random, the list will change each time you refresh it. So a Randomize (order) action in the context menu will not replace it.

I think that it's important to distinguish the rules that define the playlist and the way that list is presented. The Sort By is important when you want to limit the playlist for instance to 20 tracks. Which 20 tracks are selected will depend on how you sort them. But once the tracks have been selected you should be able to change the order in which they are displayed.

So I would think the Limit To-Sort By rules as Limit To-When Sorted By. And once the list is defined it would be nice to be able to sort it with the column headers. What I don' t know if is this could bring some performance problems. It will depend on the implementation.
camaron

Post by camaron »

Yes, I think that is one of those things Guayadeque let you do but you have to discover them yourself as the program doesn't tell you anywhere :). It is a great feature though.

Of course I also think that being able to sort the lists with the columns headers would be a very nice comodity, and I've no idea personally how (if possible at all) they could be cobined. Still If I had to choose one or the other I would definetly leave things as they are just now.
till0815

Post by till0815 »

Yes, static playlists must have sorting function.
BillyM

Post by BillyM »

I agree with a sort function for static playlists