Coping or moving without changing folder structure

camaron

Post by camaron »

Hi Anonbeat,
I'm back to Linux now and could finally see you added the possibility of several Copy to settings (very nice by the way).
What seems to be not possible at the moment is to copy (or move) keeping the folder structure/name as it is. I think something like this would be really useful. I'm not sure if it could be implemented by adding a simple command to the command section in Preferences.
If I understand well when you move things within Guayadeque all the metadata not embedded in the files is actually kept (if you use Nautilus all is lost).
What's your ideas on this?
Regards
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

If you specify the pattern the same as your music sctructure it will be copied in the same structure. For original filename you can use {f} flag.

Also take a look at the manual in the section File Browser regarding renaming files
camaron

Post by camaron »

anonbeat wrote:If you specify the pattern the same as your music sctructure it will be copied in the same structure. For original filename you can use {f} flag.

Also take a look at the manual in the section File Browser regarding renaming files
The problem is that my folders are more or less arbitrarily named (in classical music the naming conventions are more complicated than pop etc). The other issues is that this copy to function doesn't take anything with it (album arts, booklets)

A move to function (cut and paste) from the file folder tab would sort these issues
camaron

Post by camaron »

I just saw what you mean about renaming files from the file browser but what if you don't want to rename the files?
Regards
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

if you want to move the folder use the new folder and put {f} as filename
for example you have file in
/MyMusic/Rock/Beatles,The/01 - First Song.mp3
and want to move to /MyMusic/Rock/The_Beatles/01 - First Song.mp3
put as pattern /MyMusic/Rock/The_Beatles/{f}

You can press the apply button to see how it will be before press accept to make the changes effective.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

The problem with this approach is that you have to copy album by album and change the patter each time.
Maybe you could add a parameter that is the path from library path to the album. For instance, if your library is at /home/username/Music the parameter for /home/username/Music/Metallica/S&M would be Metallica/S&M.

Just an idea.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

The more I use the Copy to function, the more I miss this functionality.
I have many album names with symbols that guayadeque translates to an underscore, but I have taken care to write the directory without them. For instance I have an Album called "?" but the directory name is "Question mark", but guayadeque copies it as "_".

I can also imagine that in some weird cases guayadeque can mix to albums. Suppose that I had another album of the same artist called "/" then guayadeque will also translate it to "_". But I agree that the probability of that happening is very low.
camaron

Post by camaron »

It makes me wonder if there is some kind of technical difficulty to provide this (copy to or move function respecting the folder estructure/names) because I think is an obviously very useful feature.
camaron

Post by camaron »

Anon,
The copy to function has improved a lot recently. Here is another suggestion (which I think would be a killer of an improvement...)

Now you can save presets which include folder patern/keep format-transcode/bitrate/keep or not keep original files...

Would it be possible to include in these presets paths? Imagine: i define a folder structure, a transcoding option (128 bits mp3), choose to keep the original files, define the path to my mp3 player and call all this PLAYER. So I select my albums, right click and choose PLAYER, that's all. How simple would that be?

Not sure if there are serious technical considerations though...
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

So your idea is to add a Path field like it's done now in the device properties?

As technical considerations, I think that you should consider what happens if the path does not exits because for instance you don't have your player connected. In that case you could open a window to select a directory like now.

But I wonder why would you like that. I mean you can do that now by configuring those values on the property of the device and copying is as simple as Copy to... > Device.
The only new thing is that you can define several patterns.