Library won't update

General discussions
rickstone

Library won't update

Post by rickstone »

I came home from work today, added two new albums to my Library (I had already started Guayadeque) and tried updating the library. Nothing. My two new albums were not showing. Tried again, still nothing. Restarted, no dice. Ran from a terminal and this is the output:
05:32:13 PM: Doing Library Update in /media/Gojira/Library/
05:32:21 PM: guMainFrame::DoLibraryClean
05:32:21 PM: ReloadControls...00000019

and still the two new albums don't show.

Any ideas?
anonbeat

Library won't update

Post by anonbeat »

maybe the date of the new albums are set before the last update date ?
You can always try to do a library rescan

Let me know. THanks for your help
rickstone

Library won't update

Post by rickstone »

I don't understand why that would be. If there are files in the place that I've specified as the Library and they are not noted in the Guayadeque database, they should be added regardless of date.

And if I rescan the database all my added dates will again be reset. I don't know if this is something that bothers anyone else, but I have a huge database and need to know sometimes WHEN I added something.
rickstone

Library won't update

Post by rickstone »

Don't know why I didn't try this last night, but I removed the two albums from the drive they were on, restarted Guayadeque, closed it, moved the albums back and this time it recognized that there were new files and added them. Not sure why they didn't get added the first time. I was ripping a movie from a DVD at the same time I added these new albums to Guayadeque, but I don't know why DVD activity would affect Guayadeque.

Anyway, thanks. Though I wish there was something that could be done about the added dates. Moving files, editing tags and adding artwork shouldn't reset the Added Date in Guayadeque. It's very inconvenient.
tamalet

Library won't update

Post by tamalet »

To be faster Update library scans only the directories whose date of modification are after the last update. If for some reason your new directory has an older date it won't be noticed by Update.
Rescan library on the other hand does not take the dates into account and rescan everything. It won't change anything that is already in the library: you won't loose your ratings, labels, play counts, etc, and it won't appear as recently added.
tamalet

Library won't update

Post by tamalet »

rickstone wrote:Though I wish there was something that could be done about the added dates. Moving files, editing tags and adding artwork shouldn't reset the Added Date in Guayadeque. It's very inconvenient.
As anonbeat noted here http://guayadeque.org/forums/index.php? ... mment_1121 the ctime cannot be set manually, that's why when you change tags or covers they appear as new tracks. I think read that some player had a workaround for this, I will see if I can find it.

The problem with moving/renaming is also difficult, because there is no easy way to see what was done from outside the player. One way would be to have some hash of the tags and files like Amarok does. That was discussed once. If something like that is consider we should first need to ensure that it won't affect performance too much.
rickstone

Library won't update

Post by rickstone »

The point about moving files is fair enough and I understand that, though it would be great if you could relocate physical files and not have dates, etc., changed in the database.

However, after updating to the latest svn (1467) quite a number of files had the dates changed. I made no changes to any of these songs, yet now there are dozens of songs that I have had in my Library for years that suddenly popped up to the top of the list when sorting by most recent. I suppose this isn't an issue for most people, but there's at least one folder of random songs that I like to know exactly when I downloaded them, yet the dates constantly change due to updates in Guayadeque making changes to the files that I'm not initiating. My problem, I suppose.

Thanks!
rickstone

Library won't update

Post by rickstone »

Hmmm...also, with svn version 1467 the fix that was added that made dynamic playlists work correctly again is now broken. Just noticed it tonight.
anonbeat

Library won't update

Post by anonbeat »

@rickstone:
if for example you have enabled embed lyrics to tracks and guayadeque plays a track that dont have the embedded lyrics it will modify the file date when modify the tags to include the lyrics.
I think this is what is happening with that files.

About the playlist could you please confirm that there is a problem with it ?

Thanks for your help
tamalet

Library won't update

Post by tamalet »

I read a bit to understand the difference between ctime and mtime, and I now think that Guayadeque should be looking at the mtime, not the ctime.

You can find a good description of the differences here: http://www.unix.com/tips-tutorials/2052 ... atime.html. But to summarize:
.mtime changes when contents of the file change.
.ctime changes when the inode changes. So ctime changes every time mtime changes plus in some other cases like changing the owner or permission of the file (which do not change its content).
.You can control mtime but not ctime.

So Guayadeque should use mtime because:
.A change in the ownership or permissions should not influence the added date.
.All changes within Guayadeque could keep the mtime.

I also think that the File tab should have a Move operation that does not change the added time (now you have to do copy, paste and delete).

About the changes that you do from outside Guayadeque, as I said one way is to use some hash like Amarok does, but maybe a easier solution is to add a Guayadeque specifc tag (like the labels) with the added time. Saving this tag to the file should be optional (like it is planned for ratings and other metadata). That way if you move or rename a file with any program, Guayadeque would be able to keep its added time.