How to change how the view sorts

General discussions
MrVideo

How to change how the view sorts

Post by MrVideo »

I'm not sure what the far left most view in called. The view button to the left of the view artwork button.

I have the first three columns set to Artist - Title - Album. There are more to the right, but for this particular issue, these three are it.

I have Artist selected as the main sort, ascending. But, the next sub-sort is the Album column. I do not want that, I want Title as the next sub-sort. With each artist I want to see the Titles in ascending alphabetical order. How can I do that? I've not found a way to do it.
anonbeat

Re: How to change how the view sorts

Post by anonbeat »

Hello,
thank you for trying Guayadeque. The tracks view can be sorted only by one column.

Regards
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

Enhancement request then: A way to sub-sort. To me it is obvious that when you sort on the artist, that all of the titles by that artist should be in alphabetical order. Makes them a lot easier to find.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

When you sort by artist its subsorted by album, disc, track number...
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

Ya, I noticed that. I prefer that it be artist - title (alphabetical) - then whatever. Maybe an option in the preferences that allows the user to select what the sub-sorts are.
kinggo

Post by kinggo »

not sure what do you mean exactly because a LOT of it depends on your layout and what you chose to see but.......
if you select artist from artist filed (that you set under "sources-nameofyourlibrary-library-then 9 different things to chose) then in that main column view where you can choose 5327865 things, set it like Artist-Title-Album. Then with a click on title it will sort it alphabetically. The next artist you pick from Artist filed will be sorted that way in the main column view.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

The best way to explain it is to provide an example:

http://vidiot/com/images/Guayadeque-01.jpg

Notice that the far left column is set to Artist and the next column is Title and that Artist is selected. Now, look at the titles for the "4 Seasons' artist. The titles are NOT in alphabetical order and I do not know how to make the titles sort alphabetically for each artist.

Hopefully now you understand what I am trying to accomplish.
kinggo

Post by kinggo »

you got nothing selected there. Pick one artist from the top middle area and you'll get what you want.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

Thanks for the tip, but that doesn't solve the way I like to look at the collection. To be frank, the way you suggest is very cumbersome. To have to select a single artist to be able to see their songs in alphabetical order is not user friendly.

I like to have all of the artists available so that I can scroll down thru them, with all of their songs in my collection shown in alphabetical order.

Think of this as a feature enhancement request whereby the list would be like a spreadsheet where you tell the spreadsheet how to sort the columns and in which order.

Example one: Artist - Title
Example two: Artist - Album - Title

The second example would sort all of the albums by artist and within the alums the titles would be sorted.

Thanks for considering my feature request.