Recording in Guayadeque

General discussions
camaron

Recording in Guayadeque

Post by camaron »

I've very recently started trying out recording within Guayadeque. In preferences you have the options of format and bitrate. Why is this? a stream comes with a define bit rate (say, 128) You would want to either keep it or downsample it (with the default being you keep it as it is). So you can actually record in flac but it wouldn't be a real flac would it? or mp3 at 320 which wouldn't be true either. I've done a few trials with the same stream, recording for one minute at a time with different formats/bitrates and I end up with accordingly different files sizes/bit rates. It is like converting a mp3 to a flac, it just a fictitious coversion.Am I missing something?
anonbeat

Recording in Guayadeque

Post by anonbeat »

When you are encoding, you need to specify the quality. This is in mp3 format the bitrate but in other formats its not defined in the same way. If im listenning to an aac radiostation and want to record in mp3 I can define the bitrate at what I want it recorded. Of course you will not get a perfect FLAC when recording from 128Kbit radiostation but it will sound as the original recording for sure.

Thanks for your help
camaron

Recording in Guayadeque

Post by camaron »

I don't think we agree here. Guayadeque lacks a default option to keep bitrate/format as it is. This being the case if you want to record a stream you would have to see at what bitrate it is broadcasting, see the format (very likely mp3) and then open Preferences to make sure you are not inflating artificiality the files (eg. convert 64 mp3 to flac or to 320 mp3). No one really wants to convert lossy to lossless as you are not improving the quality of the sound, just increasing (considerably) the size of the file with empty bits of information (plus creating false flac files is not good practice and should really be avoided). If you check Shoutcast streams the vast majority of streams are of a bitrate equal or smaller than 128. I still have to find a flac broadcast (and an internet connection that could handle it).

IMHO what Guayadeque should do is to record the stream in the same format/bitrate BY DEFAULT. In preferences then you could have all those options it you want to choose them. Then ideally if you choose to upsample (very likely by mistake) Guayadeque should produce some kind of pop-up to warn you.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit prickly. Just trying to help improve your amazing software with about the only thing I can offer: suggestions :)
anonbeat

Recording in Guayadeque

Post by anonbeat »

Dont worry... If I were not open to suggestions I will not be here.

The point I see is when you want to record from a different format from what you are listenning. Imagine you are listenning to a aac stream at 160Kbits bitrate... and you want to record in mp3. What should be the bitrate I should record ?
and If you want to record in Flac ?
ppl want to have the recordings usually in the format they are used to and is not clear always what is the optimum bitrate for the recording.
Anyway I give the user the option to select and I think that is a good way too
camaron

Recording in Guayadeque

Post by camaron »

The key here is the word By Default. I've never going to complain myself about too many options.

Scenario No.1(default behavior):
I go and tell guayadeque to record such stream; it is a poor 65bits mp3. I don't go to preferences at all and just press record: guayadeque produces 65bits mp3 files.

Scenario No.2 (no default behavior)
I go and tell guayadeque to record such stream, it is a poor 65bits mp3. I don't go to preferences at all and just press record (last time I used guayadeque I recorded some 350 bits mp3 stream): guayadeque produces 350 bits mp3 files with the quality of 65bits ones.

Scenario No.3 (default behavior).
I want to record a 160bits aac and transcode it to 125 mp3. I go to preferences and choose this option. I start recording

Having said all that I don't personally use this feature. I just had a look at it when I started thinking about helping out with documentation :)

Best regards
toini

Recording in Guayadeque

Post by toini »

I agree, you should definitely be able to record the stream as is (with the same format and bit rate as the original stream) and that should be the default behaviour. I wonder who would ever want to record a radio stream as flac or increase the bit rate from what is being received since that wouldn't bring any real benefits (and would be just wasting disk space).

Thanks for the great player anyway. I just switched from amarok and wouldn't even think about returning back! :)
emerald

Recording in Guayadeque

Post by emerald »

I just want to vote for an option to record the stream as is (with the same format and bit rate as the original stream).