Sub-collections / Meta-collections

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

On my harddisk, my music collection is divided in 2 folders:

Albums
Single Tracks

Guayadeque can look for 'Albums', I know. But: Many of my single tracks have an album name in their tag. But I don't want them to get listed as Albums. But I also don't want to remove the album tag in the ID3 tag of the single tracks. Because I want to know from which album this track is.

However, I want to be able to distinguish between:

1. 'Complete Albums'

2. 'Single Tracks' (which may have an album tag though)

Currently, the only way to do that is to have redundant collections:

1. 'All Music' = Folder 'Albums' + Folder 'Single Tracks'
2. 'Full Albums' = Folder 'Albums'
3. 'Single Tracks' = Folder 'Single Tracks'

And I wonder if this might end in conflicts. Because I use them all at the same time, switching between those views via tabs bar. Now I might decide to edit the tag of some tracks. But because this track is also contained in the other collection, I wonder if this might irritate the software.

It would be much more convenient to be able to have something like:

'Look for music in all collections'

In other words: It would be nice to have the possibility to meta-collections (or sub-collections, depending from where you look at it).

As for my example, I would simply create the collections 'Full Albums' and 'Single Tracks'
and then create a new meta-collection 'All Music' to which I add the two collections.

This way I can choose to have a view on the whole (meta-)collection or only on one of the (sub-)collections. I then can have tabs/views for each of the three views, thus easily navigating depending on what I'm looking for. Sometimes I strictly want to look for full albums only. With the current collection function this is only possible through above described redundant collection creation.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Having some collections sharing the same files should not be a problem at all. You may need to update the collection to get applied all the changes made by the other collection but that is all.
About how to separate the two types of files I recomend you to use a label for this.
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

OK, labels seem to be a perfect way. Didn't know this. But: Where are the labels stored? In the MP3 files? I hope not! I don't want my MP3 files to be changed without knowing it.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Labels are stored in the mp3 files with a custom tag. This way you will not loose the labels in a database crash for example.
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Mmm. Makes sense. The more I think about it, Guayadeque makes it right. I also guess I shouldn't bother because of those JPG files. I still can delete them easily if I want to.