Problems with the mpris2 dbus interface

Use this category to discuss anything related to the development of Guayadeque.
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

I just emailed you with some info regarding MPRIS 2.2 Player Indicator which is a Gnome Shell extension using mpris 2.2.

I was wondering if you can add support for those new mpris features, and update the set position as it no longer works with this extension?

Best Regards,
Craig
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Your email is a bit confusing.
SetPosition should work as it was fixed in 1784

Can you try to explain better what is not working please ?
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

Well as it was explained to me, some things have changed in mrpis 2.2 so I thought perhaps that would be the issue. Anyways, SetPosition does not work with this new extension as it did with the previous, and the dev gave info as to why that is. I included that in the email, he said:

> I just did a more in depth test. SetPosition spec has a in_signature
> of "ox" (object_path, int64). Using
> $ dbus-monitor destination=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.guayadeque
> I verified that message does have that signature. However watching the
> output from guayadeque, I get the error
> Could not read the Position parameter : Argument 0 is
> specified to be of type "string", but is actually of type
> "object_path"
>
>
> It thinks it thinks it is getting "sx" (string, int64) which it is
> not.

The other things I notedthat dont work are:
Playlist
Fullscreen
HasTrackList
TrackList

and I assume since playlist worked before that it is also because of mpris version. The rest of the email was the entire conversation between me and him.
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

In another part of the email, it includes a list implimented mpris features for Guayadeque. I had him check guayadeque because I was wondering if the mpris version is the same as his extension uses, and he said theres no way to tell the mpris version so instead he checked the mpris features that work with guaya.

The things I mention above that aren't working are the features I tested with his extension which don't work, which is also confirmed by the list he gathered.
kinggo

Post by kinggo »

Is it this one? https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... r-control/
That extension doesn't even work for me. Can't install it from extensions site and if I do that manually doesn't work.
I'm using this one https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... indicator/
but I liked this one more https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... tegration/ but it also is not maintained any more and doesn't work.
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

Actually it is a new extension that is still being reviewed, but I'm sure it will be accepted soon enough: https://extensions.gnome.org/review/1789

I can take a look at that one if you want to see why it isn't working, but theres another similair extension you may be more ineterested in which should work fine depending on your shell version?: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... -controls/

Media player indicator works fine, but the new extension I'm talking about brings additional features to the table.
kinggo

Post by kinggo »

No need to bother, THX. Actually the only reason I'm using this extension is to see what is playing without switching to player. I'm using HW media controls on my laptop for the rest.
And the one you're talking about also looks good.
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

Umm. Not to retort, but it seems I may have been wrong.

I don't know the problem with SetPosition, but I just clicked it accidently and it seems to be working now. Maybe it isnt working for certain tracks, but it is working with that extension. Perhaps it needs looked into though.

So the things that are still not working are:
Playlist(used to work)
Fullscreen
HasTrackList
TrackList

and I'd be happy to just see TrackList support added, this is very useful. I'm not very worried about playlists as I don't use them, but I'm guessing it wouldnt be hard to just fix that one since it does work with other extensions.
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

Was wondering if you got a chance to look over this yet? Also wanted to clarify that I do mean TrackList and not Playlist, I know Playlist worked before, and it can be useful, but TrackList can be all the more useful.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Not yet. I will as soon as Im done with some changes Im working on but I will fix them all. I downloaded a software to check mpris implementation and found few problems I need to look at it also.