Not Picking Up Half My Library

General discussions
demonboy

Post by demonboy »

Hi - I'm on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneric) and running Guayadeque on a 32bit netbook, having installed the latest version last night from the PPA.

However when I add my library (approx 750Gb) it only seems to add half of it. For example I have around 700 tracks tagged my deep house genre, yet guayadeque is only showing 200 or so. The ones missing are mp3s, so it's not like they some strange file type.

I'm new to guayadeque and I'm loving the look of it. I think I've found my foobar replacement (!) but I'm not sure what to do about error logging so if you could help me with this I would be very grateful.

Thanks
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Can you identify files that are not picked and send me one or two please ?
send to anonbeat at gmail dot com

Thanks for your help
demonboy

Post by demonboy »

Hey, anonbeat. Do you want the good news or the bad news? The good news is that I made a mistake. In my previous audio player I'd changed the genre tag to 'deep house' but it didn't actually change the ID3 tag, it must only have recorded a reference to it. So the 'missing' files are not missing, they're just tagged incorrectly. That's the good news. The bad news is that I'm a fool for not working this out before hand and so I apologise for wasting your time ;)

I'm very excited about Guayadeque. It really does look like this could be the best audio player for Linux. I'll make good use of this forum as I get to grips with it.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

That's nice to hear, welcome to the friendly Guayadeque community!
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

I seldom have this happen to me as well. For this problem alone I like to use the File Browser which can be found under >Sources>File Browser. This lets me select the entire folder/album/whatever and edit it directly instead of searching for missing files that might be tagged 'Unknown' in a Collection.

The file browser needs some improvement and isn't the most obvious in explaining the remove function, which will PHYSICALY remove a file from your hard drive, even with the prompt asking you to do this, it isn't totally obvious where it's removing it from, so BE CAREFUL when using remove, as it DELETES the file/s, not the library content.

Other than that it is perfect for tagging, & for renaming files instead of opening a File Browser.
demonboy

Post by demonboy »

I did wonder that, so thanks for the heads up.

I fail to see how the file browser helps with tagging though. When you open File Browser the only columns it displays is Name | Size | Modified, which are useless. What would be more useful are the ID3 tags displayed as columns. Also when changing the ID3 tags I have a couple of issues which I will post up in a new thread now.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

l300lvl wrote:I seldom have this happen to me as well. For this problem alone I like to use the File Browser which can be found under >Sources>File Browser. This lets me select the entire folder/album/whatever and edit it directly instead of searching for missing files that might be tagged 'Unknown' in a Collection.

The file browser needs some improvement and isn't the most obvious in explaining the remove function, which will PHYSICALY remove a file from your hard drive, even with the prompt asking you to do this, it isn't totally obvious where it's removing it from, so BE CAREFUL when using remove, as it DELETES the file/s, not the library content.

Other than that it is perfect for tagging, & for renaming files instead of opening a File Browser.
File browser is what the name tells. Its just a file browser. File browser have nothing to do with libraries or id3 tags. Just files. If you select remove it will remove 'the file' that you have selected. I think its clear and obvious.