Difficulty fetching album covers

Use this category to discuss anything related to the development of Guayadeque.
Karajaru

Post by Karajaru »

Running v0.25 here. "Download album cover" doesn't work well. Often I have to fiddle with the source and the exact words in the album title. The only source that ever finds anything is Last.fm. Google never returns anything, whereas if I stick the search term into Google manually it will invariably turn up the right cover as first result. What gives?

Background. I've tried all the music players available on Debian Squeeze (with or without backports). None of them seems to have the "sort by album artist" issue resolved, so I settled on Guayadeque because the album-cover view is a good compromise solution. And because it's a decent player in general! So thanks for the work on this project, it's appreciated.
hasufell

Post by hasufell »

0.25 is pretty old...

please follow the instructions from here http://guayadeque.org/forums/index.php? ... InstallPPA
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

That's indeed a quite old version.
The bug you mention was fixed some time ago, so you will have to update your version.
Karajaru

Post by Karajaru »

But I'm not on Ubuntu and there seems to be no Debian Squeeze (ie, stable) backport. Stable-plus-backport is a pretty standard solution when you only want the newest version of one package. Anyway, never mind. Thanks anyway.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

You may try to install the maverick or lucid package and see if works fine
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

And what's the problem with compiling from source code? Does it require some new library that you don't have?
Karajaru

Post by Karajaru »

Thanks for the tips. My experiences with compiling from source have not in general been successful. If APT only wants to install 0.25 then by definition there must be dependencies, which in turn have other dependencies and I would quickly get into a mess. So if anyone ever wants to do a proper backport, there is at least one taker! Thanks again.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

But did you try at least?
At the time anonbeat is the only developer and he is really busy trying to fix bugs and implementing our never-ending requests, so I doubt he will have time for that, but of course, it would be great if more people get involved.
Karajaru

Post by Karajaru »

I won't try because I know from experience that it will take less time to hunt down the album cover URLs manually. Defeatist or pragmatic, depending on how you see it. I just wanted to make sure that this was a bug and I wasn't missing anything obvious. I'm not complaining, the software is great, as are you guys and anonbeat for creating it and helping out users like me. Much appreciated.
mrspacklecrisp

Post by mrspacklecrisp »

I have similar issues with cover art search. Not only can it not find covers for lots of common songs, it ends up replacing a bunch of the missing covers with cover art I have. (Everything is now by the Carpenters or Tin Hat Trio) I have the latest deb, 3.5