Words to detect covers, Smart Mode: improvements.

l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

Did you mean two different things that can NOT be combined, as that's how I take it, since they aren't working together. When I have both enabled I end up with an empty playlist and everything stops. Using one or the other and they seem to work fine.

Can this be more obvious or made to prefer one over the other if both are enabled?
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

There is no reason to prefer one over the other when both are enabled, since they do different things.

The SmartMode will try to add similar tracks to the one you are playing. But it may fail to add new songs because for example your library is small, the Deny filter is too strong, etc. If that happens you will eventually reach the end of the playlist.
In that case if you don't have enabled the option to play random tracks/albums, it will just stop.
Otherwise, it will add a random track/album, and the SmartMode will try to find similar songs again.

Of course, the random track/album can be very different from what you were listening before. But the features can work together because they do different things.
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

Then perhaps I have ran into a bug, besides misunderstanding. As it is almost always when I have both enabled, I end up with an empty playlist. I never set any deny in filters, I normally don't even touch the filters.

If I select the last song in the playlist how long might it take to add a new song? Perhaps the last song in the list is too short in most cases. I doubt that is the problem since it hardly ever adds anything, using smart mode or random, or both. As it is now I rarely see it adding anything.

Maybe it is taking to long to search for something to add? My library is at around 5000 tracks right now for my main collection, so I doubt it's that the library is small?
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

So you say that even having the option "Play random tracks/album when the playlist is empty", you still reach the end of a playlist and nothing is added? That's weird.
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

Okay well I have more than not, yes. If I set it to search for songs when only 10 songs are remaining, I think that gives it more time to search for songs to add, and they are added more often, so I DONT end up with an end of playlist. That's what makes me think its something in the speed of the search that occurs, perhaps only with smart mode, but it seems to happen with random and/or both, either way.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

smart mode to work really well you need a mid size library and all your tracks well tagged. If a track is badly tagged it cant be found by the smart engine.
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

They are mostly tagged and 5000 seems like enough but I will go ahead and load 30k and try to work on tagging some better and test that out a bit.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

I must say that the SmartMode sometimes stops working for me too (I've noticed this specially at work). I have almost 30K well-tagged tracks, so that shouldn't be a problem. And sometimes it happens when playing "mainstream" music, and I had checked that in the last.fm tab I have similar tracks.
Unfortunately there is nothing interesting in the console and it's not easy to reproduce.
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

Okay, well, I spent the last several days testing, changing options back and forth, adding more music, and more.... I even removed Guaya and reinstalled, redownloaded the svn etc, and 9 times out of 10 it will either:
a. enable smart mode by default, when I Know it was disabled when I last closed. I checked for crasing and that isnt the problem.
b. smart mode just doesn't work
c. random mode will work for a while and then stop working, it may add a few albums, and then it will stop and the music will cease.
d. the same goes for smart play if by some freak occurence it does start working, and both combined.

So the results are I can't get smart play or random or both to work, hardly ever. I tried testing by e.g disabling both and then enabling random only or disabling random and reenabling it, and I've changed just about every combination of settings in preferences numerous times. For now all I can do is use a playlist, which I hate, or just add my music manually, which is what I'm stuck with.
hasufell

Post by hasufell »

Reinstalling wont really help. Did you try with an empty guayadeque config dir?
Sometimes things can go crazy between updates...

Since smartmode depends on last.fm it also depends on their servers/software. I guess it can be an issue on that end too, at times...