Bookmarking for audiobooks

gnaag

Post by gnaag »

I have made a little research and there is no good audiobooks player for linux. The closest seems to be banshee, that claims to have audiobooks support, but it is less then alpha. Much better situation is in Guayadeque since last svn update. Now we are able to create more than one library, that is necessary if we want to keep our music away from audiobooks. The only feature that lacks in guayadeque for seamless listening to audiobooks is some kind of bookmarking capability. When I am listening to 4 hour long audiobook separated into 4 files, I usually do not bother making a note about the time, when I stopped the listening. I cannot let guayadeque running on the certain spot. I usually listen to music while working. Bookmarking would help us audiobooks lovers a lot, while we could just bookmark the position, switch to another library for a background music for our work and after everything is done again relaxing with the same guayadeque, but back in the very same time of audiobook.

Moreover I have heard that this would be great also for audiophiles with very long dj sets.
camaron

Post by camaron »

You can actually do that. In preferences>general tick Restore Position for Tracks Longer than... you can also set a value in minutes.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

@camaron: that option is not what he is asking for. That works only when you close Guayadeque while playing. But if you stop the song or play other song, the position in the long track is lost.

What I do in a case like this is to use the command vlc {tp} I have defined, and listen to the audiobook in vlc (it could be totem or anything else). Then I can pause the audiobook in vlc and continue listening to music in Guayadeque. When I want I can go back and finish listening to the audiobook. You can have several instances of vlc running so you can do this for many tracks.
camaron

Post by camaron »

You are right actually, and that's a nice trick with vlc.
gnaag

Post by gnaag »

@tamalet: I have used audacious this way, however I'd like to use inbuilt multiple libraries function of Guaydeque now.
willemw

Post by willemw »

You can use Amarok2 or UMPlayer/SMPlayer.

Amarok2 creates an automatic bookmark of your last played position and UMPlayer/SMPlayer can remember your last played position, for each audiobook, podcast, etc.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

With latest cue support restore playback position should work fine.
Does audiobooks comes with some kind of cue sheet file ?
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

Is the new Offset column related to that?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

it is related to cue support as its the position where the track starts in the audio file. That column existed in the database and was planned for the cue support.