English Spelling / Grammar Corrections

Use this category to discuss anything related to the development of Guayadeque.
arcanum

Post by arcanum »

I'm going to write here every time I spot one. They are somewhat commonplace, given that anonbeat is Spanish(?). Most of these are very minor, but I think the corrections would add a lot to the overall professional appearance of the player.

Be sure to contribute if you find some others.

Library Sort Columns:
- "disk" should be "disc." One denotes a hard drive, the other CDs.
- "Added Date" is awkward. Normally we say "date added" or just "added."
- Insert a space in "PlayCount"
- "Last Play" to "Last Played"

Creating a Playlist:
- Lots of awkwardness with dates (e.g. "Year" - in, not in)
- Some options are unclear. Instead of "add on any criteria," I suggest selecting a Match One / Match All setup. Or better yet, do it per filter. I know it's not a media player, but consider looking at the way message filters look in Mozilla Thunderbird.

Preferences:
- Under general, "Enter Key Selects?" After some thought, I realized that this was my long-sought solution to the strange text-search behavior (adding all matches to the queue). I think this needs to be clarified or placed in a section for the text search. Also, I'd suggest making it the default - but that's just me.
- The "Accelerators" menu should probably be called "Shortcuts" for clarity.
- The "Online" tab is very general. What does that mean? Consider renaming it to "streaming," if that's what it's for. On a side note, it should probably be split. Streams and covers both come from the internet, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to group them, especially if you want your users to be able to find options quickly.

Another aside: What is smart mode? I think it should be explained somewhere in the application, preferably somewhere obvious.

I hope this was helpful, and not just nit-picky. I'll try to add to it if I see anything else.

- Andrew
Eyjaffjaffjokull

Post by Eyjaffjaffjokull »

It's definitely helpful, but the best would be if you fix it yourself. over at the old guayadeque-thread at ubuntuforums.org is a "how-to" that described the way to obtain and edit the language file.

i once did some German translations that way. quite easy after all and very nice to see your changes implemented. but i just don't remember the way i did it.

i hope somebody helps out or you check the old thread.
arcanum

Post by arcanum »

Thanks, that's great - but, will that only change my installation, or are you talking about contributing to the source package?
arcanum

Post by arcanum »

I'll just wait for anonbeat to show up and advise me on how I can contribute. But thanks, random assortment of letters.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Thanks arcanum. I will try to fix all my bad english from the program. Let me know anything you find please.

@Eyjaffjaffjokull : There is no languaje for english. English is the main language and so there is no translation file for it so it can only be changed in the source code.

Thanks for your help
Eyjaffjaffjokull

Post by Eyjaffjaffjokull »

Makes sense.

;)
earlski

Post by earlski »

Wouldn't it makes sense to create one in the future releases? --> feature
lenardoroza

Post by lenardoroza »

It would be nice to see a way to translate to other languages, like an especific file. This way others users could contribute with translation. I'd like to translate it to portuguese-brazil.
camaron

Post by camaron »

You can of course translate guayadeque to Brazilian and all translations are welcome. Follow the link bellow for a "how to". If you have any doubts ask.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id ... gmbgexkBx8
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

there is already a portuguese translation