Change in building? CMake??

Use this category to discuss anything related to the development of Guayadeque.
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

Never got this before and don't want to botch anything, so I thought I'd just ask here.

did svn update,
Updated to revision 1639.
$ ~/guayadeque $ ./buildd
rm: remove write-protected regular file `CMakeCache.txt'?

What do I do at this point? Did something change in the build process? For now I'm canceling building until I understand what the change was, as I'm still a noob and have never encountered this. Thanks again!
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

be sure you have permissions into the guayadeque folder. Maybe you did a ./build from root user ?
If so revert permissions back to your user with sudo chown youruser:youruser . -R from guayadeque folder

Thanks for your help
finndo77

Post by finndo77 »

I believe that was the issue I had previously, got carried away with using sudo during the upgrade process... and stupid me I think I have 3 or 4 threads on here about my errors because of this...
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

sorry i didnt post back sooner, thought it was fixed the first time but not too sure now? on a totally new installation of mint-julia instead of that warning i get this:

rm: cannot remove `CMakeCache.txt': No such file or directory

this is the first time building on this machine/install and everything is fresh including the source, so maybe its a one time notice, but i thought it seemed related and my knowledge of building is limited entirely to the instructions you give me, so if this means anything to you(guayadeque) its worth posting, to me.

thanks again, and keep up the great work!
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

If you use build command there are two commands in there. The first deletes the cache created so the build process is done enterely everytime. If you build the first time there is no cache already and you receive this output.

Thanks for your help
spiftire

Post by spiftire »

Is guayadeque-svn no longer supported through the ppa? I read in the manual that I have to build it trough the terminal...
camaron

Post by camaron »

spiftire wrote:Is guayadeque-svn no longer supported through the ppa? I read in the manual that I have to build it trough the terminal...
http://guayadeque.org/forums/index.php? ... InstallPPA

Yes, it is supported but you will have to build if you want the very last version. Typically this will happen if you report a bug and then anonbeat fixes it and uploads the patch.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

spiftire wrote:Is guayadeque-svn no longer supported through the ppa? I read in the manual that I have to build it trough the terminal...
I will update the ppa guayadeque-svn as soon as I finish the next patch. Its right now half way done and need maybe weeks to get finished.

Thanks for your help
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

thanks for the explanation. it makes perfect sense now! i was thinking i had done something wrong already on my new install, thanks again though.
finndo77

Post by finndo77 »

I've learned two somewhat important things from running the Guayadeque svn, both I did not know before (although I might have if I used svn before!).

1. run "svn update" as your normal user account, run "./build" or "./buildd" as your normal user account; however use sudo or su to the superuser when you run "make install"
2. if it won't "make" from the guayadeque directory after running svn, "cd src" and then run "make install"

#1 has caused me lots of issues and I have posted on here several times for help because I didn't know/get it. running a command with sudo changes the permissions on newly created files while that command is running and causes errors later when trying to launch the program without using sudo (which of course you shouldn't be doing)

#2 I found out last night while trying to update to 3.2.1640, as make would not run from the guayadeque svn directory, I had to cd to source (although cmake ran, but with lots of errors, which is why I am posting this here as related to the cmake question).

possibly a better way to say it:
1. svn update guayadeque
2. cd guayadeque (if not already there)
3. sudo make install
4. ./build (if this one fails "cd src" and try from there)