MediaMonkey Features

MattSan

MediaMonkey Features

Post by MattSan »

Having just recently moved from Vista to Ubuntu Natty, I am of course currently looking for replacements programs for all of my apps. One is MediaMonkey. Fair to say that nothing comes close to it anywhere else on any platform.

Features I would like to see Guayadeque adopt from MediaMonkey, thus making Guayadeque truly awesome:

Auto Organize
-------------------
-Ctrl R on MediaMonkey. You can specify, exactly, any filenaming scheme you wish using (Artist), (Album), (Genre) filters etc. eg I could set all my full albums to "/media/Storage/Music/Albums/(Artist)/(Album)/(Track#: 2) (Title)" and my random loose singles to "/media/Storage/Music/Random/(Artist) - (Title)"

Edit: Formatting ate my angle brackets so I changed them to ().

MediaMonkey also conveniently remembers the last 5 settings for this in a drop down list, so I can easily move various full albums or random songs painlessly. See Google images "MediaMonkey Auto Organize" has a nice checkbox display so you can choose which tracks to apply renaming to.

Replay Gain
----------------
- Ctrl-Alt-V ? on MediaMonkey. Calculates an offset based on say 89dB for any track and adds the offset on a per track and per album to the appropriate MP3 tags. This allows one to set "Level Volume" and makes for a more even listening experience without overly loud or overly soft tracks. Note that this DOES NOT actually physically alter the music itself, only calculate on offset so that the track can be automatically lowered/raised in volume by the player.

Semi-Colon Support
---------------------------
The feature I miss the most. Full support for semi-colon delimiting in the various tags, including Artist and Genre. This is essential for multi-artist songs and proper categorization of tracks into multiple genres.
eg. "I Will Be Here" by Tiesto has Artist:"Tiesto; Sneaky Sound System" and Genre:"Trance; House; Electro"
So when I do a search for Tiesto it will display this song, also if I do a search for Sneaky Sound System. If a do a genre seach for any of those 3 genres, the song will also be displayed.

Important: when showing a list of all Artists, it shows each individually, not as in Guyadeque currently: Tiesto/Sneaky Sound System. And when displaying a list of all Genres it displays each individually instead of just dumping the string "Trance; House; Electro" into a list. Also, I would like the Artist info to display the names separated by colons instead of slashes.

Editing song information
---------------------------------
- Shift-Enter in MediaMonkey. A one stop shop, with tabs, which enables you to edit all tags, album art, and filename for the track in one convenient popup window. Must have for editing multiple tracks repeatedly. Also has a glorious back/forward button, so that if you highlight one album, you can edit each track and click forward to edit the next track in the album. Saves much time.

Hopefully all of these features will find the way into Guayadeque so it can become the best player ever, and topple MediaMonkeys grip on so many people.

Thanks for reading,
MattSan
anonbeat

MediaMonkey Features

Post by anonbeat »

I understand that you miss MM but Guayadeque is not a clone of MM and dont pretend to be. All you describe can be done in Guayadeque in a different way. I bet once you get used to Guayadeque you will miss lots of features if you move back to MM.

Thanks for your help
tamalet

MediaMonkey Features

Post by tamalet »

Hi, as anonbeat said, most of this features are already in Guayadeque, but the implementation maybe a bit different.

Auto Organize: See the Copy To section in the Preferences. There you can define patterns to copy (and move if you choose the option Remove source files). Then select what you want to copy or move and choose the appropriate patter from the context menu, under Copy to.

Replay Gain: Install mp3gain (and vorbisgain if you have oggs). In Preferences -> Commands add the commands:
Command: mp3gain -a -k {tp}
Name: Normalize Album

Command: mp3gain -r -k {tp}
Name: Normalize Tracks
Then you can invoke them from the context menu of any selection.

Semi-Colon Support: Unfortunately Guayadeque does not have multi-artists nor multi-genre support as you describe. I would love that too. You can vote for this idea for multiple genres:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/ideatorren ... t/idea/60/
I commneted on that idea: As a workaround you can use the genre tag for the main genre and use labels and assign as many genres as you want to a track, album or artist.

Editing song information: Guayadeque has a basic but useful song editor (Ctrl-e). I really like it MusicBrainz integration.
If you want a more powerful editor you can use a dedicated tag editor like puddletag, kid3 or EasyTag.
rickstone

MediaMonkey Features

Post by rickstone »

I have never been able to make the mp3gain command work correctly, and much of my collection is in FLAC format. It seems that the track or album parameters don't get passed correctly.

Personally I would love to see this built into the Song Editor. Not really such what everyone else does, but when I add new albums to my library, the first thing I do is open Guayadeque check tags and artwork in the Song Editor. Would be great if replaygain options were available there as well.
anonbeat

MediaMonkey Features

Post by anonbeat »

rickstone wrote:I have never been able to make the mp3gain command work correctly, and much of my collection is in FLAC format. It seems that the track or album parameters don't get passed correctly.

Personally I would love to see this built into the Song Editor. Not really such what everyone else does, but when I add new albums to my library, the first thing I do is open Guayadeque check tags and artwork in the Song Editor. Would be great if replaygain options were available there as well.
mp3gain only works with mp3 files. If you need to analyze flac files you need to install the flac package and run flac --replay-gain {tp}
or also
metaflac --add-replay-gain {tp}

Good info about replay gain in Linux at http://www.bobulous.org.uk/misc/Replay- ... eplay-gain
rickstone

MediaMonkey Features

Post by rickstone »

Thanks for that. I've tried this before and it hasn't worked, but I'll try again when I get home.

Thanks!!