Compilation tag in library !

manilcacique

Post by manilcacique »

Hello everyone !
I've got no idea if somebody's already talked about this, but I think that Guayadeque lacks of a very useful feature : the ability of tagging an album with the "compilation" tag as in iTunes for example, in order to organize in a better way all the compilations that one can have in his library in place of having every artist listed in the library !

I hope that this section is the appropriate one to post this !

Cheers !
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

The way to compilations in Guayadeque is using the Album Artist tag.
For example if you have in an album with tracks from many artists you can use as album artists "Various Artists" or if is a tribute to some band you can use the name of the band.
When I have a song by a duo I put both names on the artist tag but only the original artist as album artist. So for me album artist is more important than artist.

In Guayadeque Album Artist have a wide coverage, almost as Artist but not equal. Most notably the Browser cannot be sorted by Album Artist and there are tags for Artists but not for Album Artist.
manilcacique

Post by manilcacique »

First thank you for answering !
Actually, I think that this "album artist" technique is interesting but it doesn't work as a real compilation feature would because the compilations keep being sorted by the name of the differents artists that are part of it !
A option to make the software understand that a disc is a compilation would be nice, so the disc could appear in a "Compilation" part in the library !
camaron

Post by camaron »

I know it is not exactly what you want, but in my case I use the label "compilation" to tag those albums in a distinctive manner. Similar to tamalet I use both Composer and Artist tags. For all but classical music they are the same tag. In the case of compilations I use Various as Composer tag and leave the individual artists names.

All this is not to say what you are asking for is not needed (I think it would be an improvement). It is just to suggest workarounds to you
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

manilcacique wrote:First thank you for answering !
Actually, I think that this "album artist" technique is interesting but it doesn't work as a real compilation feature would because the compilations keep being sorted by the name of the differents artists that are part of it !
A option to make the software understand that a disc is a compilation would be nice, so the disc could appear in a "Compilation" part in the library !
You can sort by album artist and you get the sort you would expect (by track numbers).

If for all compilations you use the same Album Artist, say Various Artists or even Compilation, then you will have a "Compilation" part of the library.

Another option as camaron suggested is to label compilation albums with "compilation" or something similar.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

I dont see what is the problem. Guayadeque only shows one album even when it have different artists. Of course if you select an artists it will show also the compilations albums where there are tracks from that artist but that makes sense.
If there are in that compilation 20 different artists there should be 20 different artists or more listed in the artists list box. If you want to play a track from an artists and its in a compiation that is how to search for it.

The album will show up only one time in Album Browser or in Album list box.

Thanks for your help
manilcacique

Post by manilcacique »

anonbeat wrote:I dont see what is the problem. Guayadeque only shows one album even when it have different artists

Hmm in my case, it seems that there are various album in some compilations !
And thank you for all your answers, i'll check it out.
But I still think that a compilation feature would be a lot more useful and simple to manage with ! I think it oculd be a nice improvment in order to make things even simpler than they are in Guayadeque !
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

Do you have all the songs of the album in the same directory? If you don't then the album will be repeated.
Tarzan_Boy

Post by Tarzan_Boy »

iTunes uses a non-standard ID3 tag for flagging compilations. Consequently, most other music players tend to use a similar approach to Guayadeque, with users encouraged to organise their compilations in set folders, and perhaps using the Album Artist set to "Various Artists".

However, when you sync with an iPod... this causes problems. iPods (or, at least my model) organise music by Artist, NOT Album Artist. And compilations are only honoured if the compilation flag is set. When this is the case, compilations appear under the folder structure "Compilations" as opposed to "Artists". I haven't connected my iPod to guayadeque (yet), but when I sync with MediaMonkey on my PC, it creates something of a mess on my iPod.

Here's some info on the iTunes-specific tag;

http://www.id3.org/iTunes_Compilation_Flag

I suspect it would really help iPod users if this could be incorporated into Guayadeque.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

What I can do is fix the ipod transfers so items with Album Artists will have Compilation flag in ipod or something similar.

Thanks for your help