FR - modify Guayadeque default data storage locations

finndo77

Post by finndo77 »

I would like to be able to change where Guaya saves my playlists and ratings for tracks. I recently migrated my Ubuntu 10.10 installation from a poorly setup partition layout to a new, smaller HDD with more efficient drive partitioning, and while I thought I had migrated all my hidden home folders, I apparently did not. now I have lost the ratings and playlist generation I have been working on for about 4 weeks averaging 6-10 hours per day 4-6 days per week. I was not upset when I figured I had to re-setup my library database, but when I found out that the playlists and ratings were also stored there I immediately went to check the settings to see if I could change that, and I cannot.

So, I am asking to add another page in the settings/options screen that allows users to either specify a location for such information storage manually, or a check box to allow guayadeque to store that information in the library itself.

Thank you
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

An option to save ratings and other metadata to files has been requested many times, see https://sourceforge.net/apps/ideatorren ... t/idea/30/
Anonbeat said he wants to do it (in the not so distant future I guess).
One of the advantages of this is that you won't loose your ratings if you loose your database.

I think that the easiest workaround would be to create a symbolic link:
ln -s path_to_your_guayadeque_dir ~/.guayadeque
If you have a backup of your old .guayadeque you can use this to restore your ratings. I am sure you did a backup before wiping you home folder! :)

If you want to get your hands dirty you can change the folder in the source code itself. Look at MainApp.cpp and change the strings like wxGetHomeDir() + wxT( "/.guayadeque" ). But I would first try the other option.
finndo77

Post by finndo77 »

I did do a backup first, and am looking at it now, but my .guayadeque directory is not there, all other user's .guayadeque folders are in their backed up home folders, but mine is missing (it is possible that before I started using guayadeque I did something retarded like a bind mount over my home folder from somewhere else and now don't know where that was...)

Thanks for your suggestions, I was not to surprised I screwed up the file transfer, but I was a bit surprised to find the playlists were not stored in the music library, this also prevents other applications from accessing the playlists.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

The playlists are stored in the database but if you changed the file location and updated guayadeque as the tracks no longer exists were deleted from library and playlists. I guess this is what happened.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

Probably this is not the best moment to ask for this, but sometimes I would like to have an option to automatically save a static playlist to a file. Now I have to remember from time to time to save all my playlists.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

and what prevents to do it ? right click over a static playlist and Export should do it.

Edit:
maybe if you have a lot of them its not so easy. Maybe I can add an option to multiple playlist saving using playlist name as filename to a selected folder
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

Yes, the problem is when you have many playlists. For each of them you have to export it and navigate to the file.
It would help a lot if when you select export, the last file where that playlist was exported is selected by default.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

OK I will add this asap.
Thanks for your help
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

tamalet wrote:Yes, the problem is when you have many playlists. For each of them you have to export it and navigate to the file.
It would help a lot if when you select export, the last file where that playlist was exported is selected by default.
This should be fixed in sv revision 1471

Now you select in the dialog just the file format and the folder and every selected playlist should be saved to that folder with that format

Thanks for your help
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

Sorry anon, but I don't quite get what you did. When you say "in the dialogue" do you mean the export dialogue?

When I export a playlist I get a file dialogue. It has a filter set to "*.m3u,*.pls,*.asx,*.xpfs", which cannot be changed. There is no way to select a concrete format.
I have to write the name of the file and the extension. If I don't put any extension it doesn't save it. You don't get any error message on the player but the console says something like (the playlist is called Temas Rock Nacional and the file test)
12:14:34 AM: Error: can't create file '/home/tamalet/Music/Temas Rock Nacional./home/tamalet/Music/test.m3u' (error 2: No such file or directory)
12:14:34 AM: Error: Could not open the m3ufile '/home/tamalet/Music/Temas Rock Nacional./home/tamalet/Music/test.m3u'

Under the name there is a combo box "Save in folder". I think this is new. It is always greyed out but what is selected follows the current directory. I don't know what's its purpose.

It would be nice when you export only one playlist, its name is suggested as the file name. If you don't put any extension (or somehow choose the format), it should use one by default, e.g. m3u. Looking at the error above, I think that is the intention, but it's not working now.

If you select several playlists and choose export it looks like I am going to create a file with all the songs in those playlists. I choose a name, say test.m3u, and what I get is a file for each of the playlists and no test.m3u at all. I see that this is what you added, but I think the way it is implemented is confusing and will be a feature hard to discover.

I don't save all the playlists in one directory (I have many artist playlists saved on the respective artist folder), so this wouldn't help me much in particular.
My suggestion was that each playlist remembers where is was last saved, and that that file is suggested when you export it again. Ultimately what I would like is to autosave playlists so that I don't have to export them to keep them synchronized.
But that's just me, it would be nice if other people give their opinions.