Is there a list of 'bad' codecs?

General discussions
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

My brother had an issue and at the end was the motherboard integrated sound card driver that was doing issues using lot of CPU and playing really bad. I installed a PCI sound card and all the problems were gone
pickarooney

Post by pickarooney »

Believe it or not I've already replaced my onboard card with a PCI one as the output jack was damaged.
pickarooney

Post by pickarooney »

I've noticed my graphics card is making more noise than usual since yesterday. I don't suppose there's a possibility this could be linked?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Im out of ideas on your problem :(
pickarooney

Post by pickarooney »

Well, next week I'll have a new graphics card, a fresh Ubuntu install and, quite possibly a new motherboard and processor the way things are going. So... if the problem persists then, I give up :)
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

I hope you solve it
pickarooney

Post by pickarooney »

Still no resolution on this - gfx card changed, fresh installation of Ubuntu, motherboard issue resolved but still choppy playback, especially when doing something like opening a new tab in Firefox.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

are you using now the sound card of the motherboard ?
pickarooney

Post by pickarooney »

I didn't actually change the motherboard in the end. There was a disconnected cable which was causing an unrelated problem which made me suspect the mobo was damaged. Just looking at htop now and see Firefox is running 7 separate processes and there are regular spikes at 100% CPU use. I'm going around in circles trying to find the source of this.
pickarooney

Post by pickarooney »

Update on this:

So, the problem with the motherboard was not actually resolved, just temporarily fixed. A couple of days later the PC would no longer boot up. After extensively testing every component in the machine, the motherboard turned out to be defective after all.

So, I changed motherboard, which involved changing processor and RAM as these were no longer compatible. I took the opportunity to add a new hard drive as I was running out of space (and I'd changed gfx card a week before). I decided I needed a slightly bigger tower to accommodate the new components and to give them more air to breathe. Now, my new motherboard fried after a couple of hours - the sound card was DOA and the network card packed it in shortly after.

Fast forward a week and I have a replacement mobo from a different manufacturer. In my impatience to install it, I forgot to move one of the screw risers from the previous board and ended up shorting out the IDE connector. I realised the error two days later and managed to fix the issue without destroying yet another MB :D

Meanwhile, due to a mix up in orders, we ended up with 8 extra Logitech performance MX mice, one for everyone one the team (!) Of course I decided to order a keyboard to match it, managed to get mixed up between very similar models and that was a whole other story, but full credit to Amazon who were extremely good about it :)

Where was I... oh yeah, at this stage I've replaced every single component apart from one hard drive were my Music was located (some of them twice over) as well as reinstalling the OS three times.

And now audio playback works smoothly.

Quite an expensive problem to fix in the end :D