New Quick 'Force Gapless' option in Statusbar

Use this category to discuss anything related to the development of Guayadeque.
mekanix

Post by mekanix »

Hi anonbeat! The icon for lastfm doesn't work properly!!
I click on it once to deactivate, it worked as expected
I click on it another time, the lastfm returned active but the icon in the bar remained in inactive status!
mekanix

Post by mekanix »

Another thing is... I think the generally people expects three kind of mouse response:
1. Left Click does something automatic and fast
2. Double click open something more detailed
3. Right click pop up a context menu

What do you think about moving the "open preferences" for both scrobbling and crossfade to the Double click action?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

There is a problem with that...
Double click is done with two single clicks...
I can capture Left Down or Left Up events for the left click

For the double click you will get also twice the left down or the left up event.

I can avoid this adding a timer and checking if it was a double click or not but I think it doesnt worth the resources, time for that.

What do you think?
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

mekanix wrote:Hi anonbeat! The icon for lastfm doesn't work properly!!
I click on it once to deactivate, it worked as expected
I click on it another time, the lastfm returned active but the icon in the bar remained in inactive status!
I tried it and I also thought it was not working. It works but it just takes some time, you have to listen to some song.

I noticed that the tooltip of the crossfader button says "Set the current play mode" while the other button says "Shows the satus of the LastFM connection.". There are several things wrong:

1. Both should start the same way, preferably with an action because it is easier to discover the functionality.
2. "play mode" is too general. It could be interpreted as the Smart Mode or something else.
3. The right button is not only for Last.fm, but also for Libre.fm.
4. It's "Last.fm" not "LastFM" and the second tooltip ends in a dot but the first does not.

My suggestions:
"Enable/Disable crossfading" and "Enable/Disable scrobbling"
It would be even better is instead of "Enable/Disable" you can have different tooltips, one with Enable and one with Disable depending on what the action will happen.
camaron

Post by camaron »

I agree with mekanix. I personally find it easy enough to right-click on the icons and get the preference window but this is not standard behaviour: in guayadeque or in any other application for that matter.

On the other hand I think mouse behaviour should be consistent within an application (in fact within a desktop but that's a different issue): there are quite a few double-clicks in guayadeque: items in the player, in last.fm etc. Why don't make them all single-click? This would create consistence and reduce resources footprint across the program. In my view double-click is only justified when single-click does something already.

And there is still the small bug that the last.fm icon does not change colour now when you toggle it.

So in short:

-convert all double-clicks in guayadeque to left-single-clicks when this is possible.
-When you require a second action use then double-click: bring preference window from icons.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Audioscrobble icon is not red when you have it enabled in preferences. Its in red when its active and with valid id from last.fm service. If you have a wrong user/password it will never come to red as the login will fails. This is why it can take a litle time to get red when you enable it.
camaron

Post by camaron »

anonbeat wrote:Audioscrobble icon is not red when you have it enabled in preferences. Its in red when its active and with valid id from last.fm service. If you have a wrong user/password it will never come to red as the login will fails. This is why it can take a litle time to get red when you enable it.
As it is now: my user/password is set ok; if it is on and click the icon it goes grey instantly but if i turn it on again it takes a couple of minutes or something. Just an idea: make it switch to red instantly and if the password/username are wrong Guayadeque could notify you: "wrong last.fm login data" or something similar.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Ok Changed the actions to single left click or double click. Also the red will be activated if audioscrobbling is enabled and will get back to grey if error happens on login. I guess that is the best behaivour.
mekanix

Post by mekanix »

anonbeat wrote:Ok Changed the actions to single left click or double click. Also the red will be activated if audioscrobbling is enabled and will get back to grey if error happens on login. I guess that is the best behaivour.
Perfect!!! Now it behave as expected by most users I think!!!
camaron

Post by camaron »

I think this is a very nice example of guayadeque improving and getting polish by community participation. A very good example of FOSS in action.