Problems and suggestions for dynamic playlists

Use this category to discuss anything related to the development of Guayadeque.
camaron

Post by camaron »

anonbeat wrote:
camaron wrote:Some more suggestions on playlists;

On removing tracks from playlists:

-From the plalist tab you can right-click on any track from a playlist (static or dynamic) and remove it from the playlist. It would be so much convenient if you could do it also from the Now Playing List which is where you would be able to find the track straight away: typically you're listening to a playlist (maybe as a filter with smart mode on) and then think: this track doesn't fit in this playlist: you just right click on it and remove it.

On adding tracks to dynamic playlists:

With static playlists you have this amazing feature where you can just drag and drop any track from the Now Playing list onto the static playlist and gets added automatically. But this is not possible with dynamic playlists. I know that these are mainly defined by rules/filters but you can actually do it manually by defining Title is... or Path is.... so I imagine there isn't actually any technical impediment for this.
Remove tracks from dynamic playlist is not possible and makes no sense. I removed the entry in the context menu which was my fault when I introduced the multiple selection in playlists.

There is no a limitation to add a track to a dynamic playlist but that dont makes sense. For this there is the static playlists. Makes no sense a dynamic playlist that have static tracks in it by rules like song title = xxx. Think now you want to add 500 tracks to the playlist. The load of the query will lock guayadeque for minutes.

I dont think this is a good idea.

But you can do that already: you can add a rule in the dynamic playlist which is Path is not.. or Title is not...

Maybe I should explain better:

my dynamic playlists are generally speaking defined by genres and/or labels. This creates long dynamic playlists that take big chunks of my collection. They are and work great by every now and again there is a track that just doesn't fit in because genres and labels define (in my case) albums as the smallest unit (I just don't want to start labeling 30 k tracks individually when general rules work mostly fine. As I said it is just a case of Every now and again...

It is the same for adding. Some times this particular track will fit better in that particular dynamic playlist but it is not included there because the album in general is of other genre. Of course I could label individually that track in order to include it in the dynamic playlist but why not make the process easier?

I suppose it is just a case that there are so many different ways to approach your music that it is impossible to build into guayadeque all the options...
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

You can save a dynamic playlist as a static playlist and once done add the tracks you want to it.
camaron

Post by camaron »

anonbeat wrote:You can save a dynamic playlist as a static playlist and once done add the tracks you want to it.
I know but I wouldn't want to do that....

It is OK tough, I understand that different people will have different approaches to the same problem.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

camaron wrote:different people will have different approaches to the same problem.
Well said.

I don't understand why in those exceptional cases you don't want to tweak the labels. You don't have to label all your tracks, just those special cases.
camaron

Post by camaron »

tamalet wrote:
camaron wrote:different people will have different approaches to the same problem.
Well said.

I don't understand why in those exceptional cases you don't want to tweak the labels. You don't have to label all you tracks, just those special cases.
I may start now, but to be honest if I've not done it before is because it is just a bit too much hassle to bother :)
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

anon, I just want to make sure that you took note of the two problems I reported:

.If a song has a label on the artist (or album) and again on the track and I define a playlist of the tracks with that label, it will appear repeated (but on the label filter of the library it doesn't).

.Playlists with several rules where one involves labels and where "Add tracks on any criteria" is enabled, do not show the right tracks.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Yes I have bookmarked this thread
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

tamalet wrote:Problems:
If a song has a label on the artist (or album) and again on the track and I define a playlist of the tracks with that label, it will appear repeated (but on the label filter of the library it doesn't).

Playlists with several rules where one involves labels and where "Add tracks on any criteria" is enabled, do not show the right tracks.
This should be fixed in svn now. Can you test it and let me know ?

Thanks for your help
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

Both problems are solved. Thanks a lot!
mekanix

Post by mekanix »

I still have some problems :(

Artist contain Judas Priest
label does not contain live
Playcount is 0

The result is a playlist where there several artists... not only Judas Priest :(