Search box

camaron

Search box

Post by camaron »

I know this would be a mayor design change but here it comes anyway.

How about moving the search box inside the player? Or somewhere inside the nowplaying/player box which is always visible? Something like this:

https://docs1.google.com/document/edit? ... 8&hl=en_GB#

As the search function changes depending of where you are (library, browser, etc) so it should here as well.

What does everyone think?
tamalet

Search box

Post by tamalet »

I think that there are different searches: one for the library, one for playlists, one for radios, etc.
And what you are asking for is one search for the Now Playing list. This has been asked before.
I don't mind as long as I can close it as the other searches.
anonbeat

Search box

Post by anonbeat »

I guess he is asking for remove all the searches from every window and put a unified one
camaron

Search box

Post by camaron »

anonbeat wrote:I guess he is asking for remove all the searches from every window and put a unified one
That's right, just the same box for all views that would behave depending on the tab is open
tamalet

Search box

Post by tamalet »

Ohh, I see.

For many layouts I have problems with the search because I don't want it to use a very long line.
I would like to take it out of the library tab and put it under or above the Now Playing list like in your image. This would solve that problem.

I just wonder if by just taking it out it would be clear that it does different things on different tabs and if that "inconsistency" is not a problem. Of course for several tabs it would have to be disabled.

I like the idea, but I'd like to hear more opinions.
camaron

Search box

Post by camaron »

Since we are talking about the search feature....

I regard the library search feature one of the very strong points of Guayadeque: it just works very well, it finds everything and is very fast. I still remember how bad this worked in Songbird (I suppose it still does...) a real pain!

As we have just said the search works differently depending where you are: it is different for the browser, the playlists, and pretty much non existent for the file manager. But is this really necessary?

Why not have the same power with the browser view, the playlists and even the file manger? Their own versions of the search is actually a limited one. What is really the advantage of this?

I know the browser view for example doesn't display tracks names or Composers information. But why not be able to include this information in a search anyway?

Just a thought.
tamalet

Search box

Post by tamalet »

Well the reason is because those values are not displayed on those views.
I think that if an element is selected by a search, you should be able to see why.
If I enter a word on the Browser's search and an album is selected because it has a song with that word or even worse the composer of a song has that word, I will have no idea why it got selected. I would probably have to go to the library to find out, which defeats the purpose of searching in the Browser.

What I would like, at least for the library search, is to be able to choose what fields are searched. For instance, I add the composer tag whenever I can, but my music is mostly rock and I don't want to include it in searches. Sometimes I just want to look for a track with some word on the title, but if that word is part of an album or a an artists I get a lot more songs.
If you could select which field to search it would be nice to be able to search in comments, and something I really would like, in lyrics!
camaron

Search box

Post by camaron »

tamalet wrote:Well the reason is because those values are not displayed on those views.
I think that if an element is selected by a search, you should be able to see why.
If I enter a word on the Browser's search and an album is selected because it has a song with that word or even worse the composer of a song has that word, I will have no idea why it got selected. I would probably have to go to the library to find out, which defeats the purpose of searching in the Browser.
You're right here to an extent: it is true that such a situation could arise. It might again come down to individual practices/preferences/collections/etc. I know that PERSONALLY i would benefit from a more wide-ranging search tool there. I could just give you many examples but it doesn't really matter: they are just MY examples.

On a more general level my issue with the Browser view is: I'd love to love it (and actually use it) but I think it needs a bit of love itself:

Other than the "cool" factor, the main justification for having such a view is that it is a VISUAL aid in searching/browsing your music: but the the thumbnails of the albums are just too small to be used in this way properly (possible idea: as with player, pointing the thumbnail with the mouse for half a second produces the bigger image...)

I've never really understood the use of the filter function either: what exactly do you do with it?

And yes, I find the search tool there limited.

Having said all this I do apologize to anonbeat as it must feel sometimes that it is just asking/complaining/requesting/etc... I don't forget for a minute that as it is, Guayadeque is an amazing achievement and a piece of software that I enjoy using every single day. For that: thanks mate!!