Problems and suggestions for dynamic playlists

Use this category to discuss anything related to the development of Guayadeque.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

Problems:
If a song has a label on the artist (or album) and again on the track and I define a playlist of the tracks with that label, it will appear repeated (but on the label filter of the library it doesn't).

Playlists with several rules where one involves labels and where "Add tracks on any criteria" is enabled, do not show the right tracks.

Suggestions:
I know that you can define the sort order on the definition of the playlists, but it's more intuitive to just click on the column header like in the library. Is there any technical difficulty to not allow this?

When defining a rule, for many values it would be nice to have a combo box to choose the possible values based on your library like genre (this is done in the Songs Editor) and labels.

And I think it would be great if you could define a rule like Track is/is not in Playlist. That would allow you to compose playlists.
I could define a playlist Artists of the Week and use that list to define others.
That would also allow you to create lists with rules joined by ANDs and ORs (now it's all ANDs or all ORs).
mekanix

Post by mekanix »

I really support these 3 suggestions!
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

If for example you are limiting to 700Mb the results will be totally different if you selct order by datetime than you select order by playcount.

This is why you specify the order in the playlist itself.

The combo box is somethign I had already in mind and wanted to do.

About combine playlists I think its something that will increase the load too much.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

Thanks for your answer!
About the order, I see that it's needed on the definition when you want to limit the number of tracks, but once it's defined, why not allow to sort it with the column headers?

Regarding the composition of playlists, I think that it depends on the implementation. If you really compose the lists then it may be problematic, but you don't need to do that, you could just copy the rules from the other list. In that case you would need to know the lists that depend on one list for updating, but you'd need that anyway if you want to avoid circular dependencies.
I think that it's a nice idea to investigate in the future, but there are more important things to do first.
camaron

Post by camaron »

tamalet wrote:Problems:
That would also allow you to create lists with rules joined by ANDs and ORs (now it's all ANDs or all ORs).
I suggested something similar but using filters instead (the possibility to use more than one ALLOW or DENY filters with AND or/and OR as aggregators). If -as anon has said then and now- performance would be heavily hit then that's the end of it. But what a shame...
camaron

Post by camaron »

Some more suggestions on playlists;

On removing tracks from playlists:

-From the plalist tab you can right-click on any track from a playlist (static or dynamic) and remove it from the playlist. It would be so much convenient if you could do it also from the Now Playing List which is where you would be able to find the track straight away: typically you're listening to a playlist (maybe as a filter with smart mode on) and then think: this track doesn't fit in this playlist: you just right click on it and remove it.

On adding tracks to dynamic playlists:

With static playlists you have this amazing feature where you can just drag and drop any track from the Now Playing list onto the static playlist and gets added automatically. But this is not possible with dynamic playlists. I know that these are mainly defined by rules/filters but you can actually do it manually by defining Title is... or Path is.... so I imagine there isn't actually any technical impediment for this.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

As regard removing track of a playlist from the Now Playing I think it could be problematic because for each track you would need to maintain a list of all the playlists that reference it. Maybe there is a better way to do it, otherwise it will be costly.

I'm not against of adding one particular song to a dynamic playlist, but it sounds strange to me. For a dynamic list is well ... dynamic. But if there is no computational cost I'm fine with it.
camaron

Post by camaron »

tamalet wrote:As regard removing track of a playlist from the Now Playing I think it could be problematic because for each track you would need to maintain a list of all the playlists that reference it. Maybe there is a better way to do it, otherwise it will be costly.
I don't see why, the track maybe in several playlists but all you are doing is removing it from one.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

camaron wrote:Some more suggestions on playlists;

On removing tracks from playlists:

-From the plalist tab you can right-click on any track from a playlist (static or dynamic) and remove it from the playlist. It would be so much convenient if you could do it also from the Now Playing List which is where you would be able to find the track straight away: typically you're listening to a playlist (maybe as a filter with smart mode on) and then think: this track doesn't fit in this playlist: you just right click on it and remove it.

On adding tracks to dynamic playlists:

With static playlists you have this amazing feature where you can just drag and drop any track from the Now Playing list onto the static playlist and gets added automatically. But this is not possible with dynamic playlists. I know that these are mainly defined by rules/filters but you can actually do it manually by defining Title is... or Path is.... so I imagine there isn't actually any technical impediment for this.
Remove tracks from dynamic playlist is not possible and makes no sense. I removed the entry in the context menu which was my fault when I introduced the multiple selection in playlists.

There is no a limitation to add a track to a dynamic playlist but that dont makes sense. For this there is the static playlists. Makes no sense a dynamic playlist that have static tracks in it by rules like song title = xxx. Think now you want to add 500 tracks to the playlist. The load of the query will lock guayadeque for minutes.

I dont think this is a good idea.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

camaron wrote:I don't see why, the track maybe in several playlists but all you are doing is removing it from one.
But you want to choose one song from the Now Playing and delete it from a playlist. How do you know in which playlists that song is?
You either check that each time you invoke the context menu which doesn't seem like a good idea because it can take some time, or for each track you keep a list of the playlists it is in. That also has a cost.

Maybe there is a more clever way or a restricted case, but otherwise it will have some cost.