Retrieving Embeded Album Art

Use this category to discuss anything related to the development of Guayadeque.
Snooze

Post by Snooze »

I'm currently in the process of extending Avant Window Navigator's Media Control applet to support Guayadeque.

It's going fine, except I'm having trouble finding a way to retrieve album art stored in track tags. The GetMetadata dbus method only returns a value for 'arturl' when art is saved in the same folder as tracks.

I know I could manually read the image from the tag using the 'location' value, but AWN has rather strict rules about adding extra dependencies and I don't think they'll make the exception for Guayadeque when the applet support many audio players already.

Most players seem to cache embedded images in way or another. Is there some way to retrieve album art embedded in tags that I might be overlooking? Any ideas?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Guayadeque stores the images but a tiny copy in the guayadeque.db database. Its at covers. There are two problems with this :
1.- the images are very small
2.- you need to know the cover id from the current track

I will try to find a way once I impelement mpris v2 support

Thanks for your help
Snooze

Post by Snooze »

I've noticed when I import a track with embedded album art into the library, it automatically creates an image named "cover.jpg" in the track's folder.

Is this correct? Can I rely on this happening for all tracks with embedded art that are imported to the library?
camaron

Post by camaron »

that is the default behavior. If I'm not mistaken Guayadeque created a hidden option in the conf. files to change this. The information is in the Ubuntu forum (if you can find it) or ask anonbeat for a reminder.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

If you dont want to happen place in [General] section in guayadeque.con
ScanEmbeddedCovers=0

Thanks for your help
Snooze

Post by Snooze »

Oh no that's exactly what I want to happen, but it's good to know about the config option.

This gives me a reasonably reliable way of finding covers for tracks in the user's library and people who have this setting disabled will just have to go without it for now (player controls and other track info will still work).

This is also nice if you're using Cover Thumbnailer, so your music library looks nice in your system file manager.
camaron

Post by camaron »

"This is also nice if you're using Cover Thumbnailer, so your music library looks nice in your system file manager".

True