Merge Albums with same name

GodNobody

Post by GodNobody »

Hi there,

first of all I want to thank you for that nice player...it has almost everything I always requested!

As I have a lot of songs unsorted, I have sometimes 3-4 times the same album of one band, that's really annoying. In the music player banshee there was a option to merge these albums. I didn't find this in guayadeque.

Is it possible to add these option?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Jan
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Guayadeque will create an album if the folder where the files are found are different. So if you want that albums to be merged place the files in the same folder.

This have been a large discussion in the old support thread at ubuntu forums in case you want to take a look.

Thanks for your help
GodNobody

Post by GodNobody »

Thanks for you fast answer!

If you could please give me the link to that discussion...would be great!

But this is exactly my problem, I don't want to search all the albums/ folders manually to put the files in one folder.

Is it possible to let Guayadeque do that? This would be really great.

I think the music-player banshee has such a similar function.

Thanks again
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

You can use the option Copy To to do that if you use the appropiate settings selecting as source the multiple albums.

This is the link to the old support thread
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1380811

Thanks for your help
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

I tend to agree with the first poster that there should be at least the option to merge tracks with the same album name but residing in different folders into one album in the Browser window.

I myself have numerous albums consisting of severals discs, for which I neatly put each disc into a separate folder (Disc 01, Disc 02, etc.) each with for example their rip log. One album even consists of 40 discs which are now scattered all over in the Browser window.

It is my humble opinion that when the tags of files share album names they should end up in the same album, irrespective of their (physical) location. But at least leave this decision to the user.

Thanks in advance.
camaron

Post by camaron »

Ferdi wrote:It is my humble opinion that when the tags of files share album names they should end up in the same album, irrespective of their (physical) location.
Yes I agree. As anonbeat pointed out this was discussed before and but is an issue that comes back regularly. Although I personally fail to see the advantage of how it is right now it must be somewhere for some people as it is how it is by design. But I totally agree that it should be optional.
chaosETcreatio

Post by chaosETcreatio »

Ferdi wrote: I myself have numerous albums consisting of severals discs, for which I neatly put each disc into a separate folder (Disc 01, Disc 02, etc.)
i organize my music in a similar way like Ferdi. If an album has multiple discs, i create into the album folder the folders for the discs (01 - [disctitle], 02 - [disctitle], etc.)
One entry for all discs with the same album and artist tag in the player is more clear and logical, i still can distinguish comfortable between the discs with the discnumber tag.

An option would solve the troubles some users, including me, have with the behaviour.