being able to customize the player controls

Gokudomatic

Post by Gokudomatic »

Hi,

In my quest to find the replacement of foobar in linux, I've ended on Guayadeque, which up now really fits my particular needs. And I must say that this software is a real piece of art. That's what I want! Simple, minimalistic, with full search function. Except for one point. I want a really minimalistic interface, even more than that. And here comes my request.

Like in foobar with the UI columns plugin, I'd like to decide where go the buttons and where goes the playbar. And most of all, I'd like to remove the cover picture and the description of the currently playing song, because they take a lot of space and I don't need them at all.
To be honest, I don't really need a fully customizable controls tab. But at least I want to be able to remove the description and cover.

I've tried to disable the option "Show CD cover frame in player", but I see no difference.

And while I'm on it, I'd also like to be able to remove the cover in the task bar. But that's definitely not an important feature.

And thank you again for the work.
kinggo

Post by kinggo »

May I ask what's the point in removing everything that actually makes guayadeque so great. For what I understand, all you want is already there in sound menu integration or media player extension. Leave it on some desktop or minimize it and use your keyboard controls or HW keys or sound menu. Or I don't get it at all?
Gokudomatic

Post by Gokudomatic »

I think you didn't get it at all. I have already all the information I want to see. But there are others things I do not want to see. And since I want the window to be as small as possible, I'd like to remove everything I don't need.

I am actually talking about the cover frame, which is the picture associated with the song, and the description of the song. I do believe that those two things are not essential for listening to music. At least, not for me. And I do believe that it's not those two things that are the killapp features of Guayadeque. So, I'm fairly convinced that they can be hidden without making the whole app useless.

Back in my Windows+Foobar time, I had in foobar only three frames: the buttons (only buttons), the playbar and the playlist with its search function. And of course the menu. That's all. No cover, no description about the album, compositer and year, no tag browser, no spectrum. Nope. Nothing else.
Would you like me to send a screenshot of my foobar?
kinggo

Post by kinggo »

yes please.
But what is the problem if you just leave the player as it is on some desktop that you don't use. I think that multiple desktops OTB was and still is the the feature that I like the most since switching to linux. I never feel that I have something in the way, I just switch to another workspace. With compiz it was simply dragging left or right, now on gnome shell its ctrl+alt+down. I never bother with maximize, minimize, resize, rearrange........
Gokudomatic

Post by Gokudomatic »

Understood. One picture is more explicit than thousands words.
(wow! wine under ubuntu 10.12 does run foobar pretty well!)

the uploader doesn't work for me. Here's a link to the uploaded screenshot.
http://tinypic.com/r/4i0z0h/6

I do get your point about putting the window somewhere else. But what about I want to quickly change to a song I had in mind? Maybe it's strange, but well, it's a bit how I function. With foobar, I can let the window in always top mode, and yet do something else (like programming).
I know it's small matter, but that's what makes the difference between two concurrent apps.

By the way, not that comes in matter in this topic, but I also really liked in foobar the feature to search with regexp in every possible field, especially folder and filename. For me, this was THE killer feature of foobar since I listen to jpop and the tags in japanese are almost useless for me. And I'm lazy to retag thousands files properly. Quick searching by folder or name is almost essential for me. But I agree, it's off topic.
kinggo

Post by kinggo »

well, I think it can't be done. Guayadeque does not search through playlists. I think we already had a discussion about that.
Gokudomatic

Post by Gokudomatic »

I thought well it wasn't something easy to add in the current structure. And that's why I'm not asking for it. If you allow me to, I'd like to focus your attention to the visual layout of the screenshot. It shows exactly what I described in my second message : control buttons, seekbar, searchbox and the playlist/result of the search
The main difference with Guayadeque is that foobar doesn't impose to display a cover and description. This is the feature I'm requesting : an option to hide the cover.
camaron

Post by camaron »

That's the closest I got but I shows the cover.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0yzPh ... Wp3SHo0ZWs
Gokudomatic

Post by Gokudomatic »

that's right. That's also the best I could do with the current version of Guayadeque.
galanga

Post by galanga »

Hi camaron, what did you do to have this layout (attached file of your last comment), i.e. with the My Music tab UNDER the playing block?
I just discovered guayadeque (very good as foobar replacement!) but now I am struggling with any combination of drag&drop of the blocks into guayadeque to have the playing block taking the whole horizontal top, but I cannot, the My Music is always going on the right, at full hight.
I have now this layout: https://files.myopera.com/galanga/linux ... educed.jpg