Minimise when paused

hayesti

Minimise when paused

Post by hayesti »

First I have to say thank you for creating such an great piece of sofrware. I was depressed with the lack of good audio manager/players in Linux and I was so happy when I first tried Guayadeque!

My request is this: Currently (v0.3.1) when Guayadeque is playing a track and one clicks the close button it will hide itself in the Ubuntu audio panel. This is really intuitive as it matches the behaviour of other popular players. The exception is that when a track is paused and one clicks the close button, the application completely quits. This is counter-intuitive for me. Perhaps you could have the same behaviour for playing and paused songs but have the application quit when the track has been stopped. What do you think?

Muchas gracias :-)
camaron

Minimise when paused

Post by camaron »

I maybe wrong but I think this is nothing to do with guayadeque but with the soundmenu integration. What you described is the expected behaviour.
anonbeat

Minimise when paused

Post by anonbeat »

This is the behaviour of the sound menu integration specification. If the player is playing it should go to the task bar but if its not playing it should quit.

Thanks for your help
hayesti

Minimise when paused

Post by hayesti »

Thanks for the feedback on the matter. I don't know how others feel about it, but would you consider redefining the semantics between "playing" and "not playing"? As I recall Banshee has no stop button, only pause. For this I understand it behaves differently.

For me there is an important different between stop and pause. When I pause a track the intention is that I will resume it later however when stop is used, there's less likelihood that I need the application open. Do you think a paused state can be considered as "playing" and thus minimise rather than quit the application?

It's just an idea and I mentioned it because it seems intuitive to me. Perhaps others don't agree of course.

Cheers
camaron

Minimise when paused

Post by camaron »

hayesti wrote:Do you think a paused state can be considered as "playing" ...
Cheers
That is an interesting point. I think I agree with you.
tamalet

Minimise when paused

Post by tamalet »

I agree with that point of view too. If I've stopped playing and the program closes I can understand it but if I have just paused it and it closes I would be surprised.