Coping or moving without changing folder structure

camaron

Post by camaron »

It is just a consideration about how to streamline the Copy to function (for devices, but not only). Most of us copy mostly to one or two default locations. If you can build the path into the Copy to pattern you skip all the hassle of having to navigate to your location every time.

As for the devices: as things are just now you have to open the devices inside guayadeque first to have access to Copy to Device. In this way you wouldn't even need to do that. If the device is not mounted a window would say something like Device not Found.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

What I don't understand is if you want this and the current device properties or you want this to replace them (and in the device properties you only define the supported formats).

As I have commented before I am in favor of consolidating the copy to functionalities, they look too similar.

But I must also admit that having a specialized version of the copy to in the devices has some advantages.
For instance it is available only when the device is connected. If you have 4 or 5 devices (I have 2 mobiles, 3 USB keys, one external hard disk, and one PMP) and you have several patterns for each of them, it will quickly become a mess.
Also now when you select the music folder of the device, the dialog is opened on the root of device rather than in your home or library, and the paths are relative to the mount point, which looks much better than full paths.
camaron

Post by camaron »

I'm indeed in favour of a copy to function which is the same across guayadeque; why can you configure from device preferences to embed covers as you copy but not from the standard copy to?

But in general what I'm pointing at is how to make it as simple/quick as possible. You are right that you can end up with a clutter copy to sub-menu but that is entirely up to you.

The ultimate simplicity would be just drag and drop but I don't think the current UI permits that.