Combo box?

camaron

Combo box?

Post by camaron »

Hi anonbeat,
Just noticed that in your last revision you can now scroll up and down the list of composers, album names etc when editing tracks. This is a great improvement and just a step away for what I've been wishing for ages: that guayadeque suggests the names as you type based on these lists of composers, albums, etc. Not sure how this feature is called but it is the single feature that kept me attached to Songbird editor for far too long. So I would use songbird to tag my music and then I imported it into guayadeque. It is an amazing time-saver. Do you have any plans to implement this? The main obvious issue of how it is now is that I've got 500+ composers, 5000 albums, 2000+ artists, etc so scrolling up and down is not very practical. I would imaging the situation is similar with any other large collection.

Best regards
tamalet

Combo box?

Post by tamalet »

If the toolkit already has this functionality it can be done in a second, but I think that wxWidgets does not have it.
This can be helpful to implement it: http://www.pnelsoncomposer.com/FAQs/wxW ... Q.html#Q5C
mr_hangman

Combo box?

Post by mr_hangman »

Wow, I just saw this feature. This is really a big improvement.

However, after testing, I noticed very high cpu usage when opening song editor and when typing letters in the artist box. The cpu usage goes up to 30-40% which greatly slows down the UI.

And as camaron said, I have ~1800 artists which is difficult to scroll up or down. Auto-complete will be very helpful if they can be implemented.

BTW, a big thank to you, anonbeat, for the never-ending improvement of guayadeque ;)
camaron

Combo box?

Post by camaron »

AUTO-COMPLETE, that's the word. Thanks people :)
tamalet

Combo box?

Post by tamalet »

It's really nice indeed, but as camaron notes, without auto-completion is not very practical for even mid-sized libraries.

One thing I noticed is that the album names can repeat. For instance in my list there are many entries called Greatest Hits or MTV Unplugged. Even albums with many CDs are repeated once per CD.
anonbeat

Combo box?

Post by anonbeat »

I was expecting this not to be noticed so soon! Right now doesnt support autocomplete as wxWidgets dont have that feature.
Anyway there is a filtering so if you type Au and open the drop down menu it will show only the items with 'Au' in it. Its not autocomplete but its something more helpfull than having the whole list all the time.

The high cpu load is because the filtering is being done when you type.

Right now the high CPU load and the lag when opening the editor because the list are being created should be gone.

Thanks for your help
camaron

Combo box?

Post by camaron »

anonbeat wrote:I was expecting this not to be noticed so soon!
well... there is a good bunch of testers here...
anonbeat wrote:Right now doesnt support autocomplete as wxWidgets dont have that feature.
That's a pity...but I understand that it is nothing to do with you
anonbeat wrote:Anyway there is a filtering so if you type Au and open the drop down menu it will show only the items with 'Au' in it. Its not autocomplete but its something more helpfull than having the whole list all the time.
This is actually a good compromise. I just tested it and it does help a lot.
Thanks very much anonbeat