write labels into tag

endscow

write labels into tag

Post by endscow »

Labels are a great and powerful feature but the info isn't available to players/readers outside guayadeque.

It would be nice to be able to write out labels into a particular tag.

E.g. you could write out all labels into the comment tag (tag used will be configurable) using a semi-colon delimiter (delim character could be user configurable):

label1;label2;label3;label4
endscow

write labels into tag

Post by endscow »

I just noticed whilst rooting around with hex editor that guayadeque is storing label info in the id3v2 section under TRLABELS with a '|' character delimiter. Would be nice to extend this as described above.
anonbeat

write labels into tag

Post by anonbeat »

Guayadeque stores the labels into id3v2 tags
TRLABELS for track labels
ALLABELS for album labels
ARLABELS for artist labels

As there is no specific field defined for something like this I did a custom text id3 tag. I dont think its a good idea to write in comment tag the labels as this can be edited by error by any other player or utility.

Anyway please try to add the idea to the ideatorrent so other can support the idea.

Thanks for your help
endscow

write labels into tag

Post by endscow »

I don't suggest to write into the comments tag all labels as a default behaviour, simply as an 'export' mechanism so that the label metadata can be accessible by other players. I also don't suggest that guayadeque read label data from any other tag but those you have defined.

Obviously it will not be useful to everyone, and perhaps would only be useful to me.

Thanks.
endscow

write labels into tag

Post by endscow »

I will provide my use case, in case perhaps you have another solution.

I use guayadeque to organise my collection and I also use firefly/mt-daapd to make it available to stream to devices.

I want to use firefly smart playlists based on particular labels (e.g. I might want a list of all tracks labelled 'dinner' or 'happy' - or both).

Firefly can only read standard tags such as 'comment', so I need a way of getting the label info into the standard tags (and I don't use 'comment' for anything else).

Any ideas?
tamalet

write labels into tag

Post by tamalet »

anonbeat wrote:Guayadeque stores the labels into id3v2 tags
TRLABELS for track labels
ALLABELS for album labels
ARLABELS for artist labels

As there is no specific field defined for something like this I did a custom text id3 tag. I dont think its a good idea to write in comment tag the labels as this can be edited by error by any other player or utility.

Anyway please try to add the idea to the ideatorrent so other can support the idea.

Thanks for your help
I finally found what I remembered, this idea https://sourceforge.net/apps/ideatorren ... t/idea/36/ suggests using the tag "Grouping" for classification. At the time I looked for it and I found that is was used to store "keywords", i.e. tags.
It seems that iTunes uses it: http://lifehacker.com/153970/tag-your-songs-in-itunes
http://discussions.apple.com/message.js ... ID=6546325
Some people use it for subgenres, see first the comment on http://sonicchicken.net/blog/wordpress/ ... -grouping/

However, Guayadeque has not only track labels but also artist and album labels. So for those you probably need another tag.
tamalet

write labels into tag

Post by tamalet »

endscow wrote:I will provide my use case, in case perhaps you have another solution.

I use guayadeque to organise my collection and I also use firefly/mt-daapd to make it available to stream to devices.

I want to use firefly smart playlists based on particular labels (e.g. I might want a list of all tracks labelled 'dinner' or 'happy' - or both).

Firefly can only read standard tags such as 'comment', so I need a way of getting the label info into the standard tags (and I don't use 'comment' for anything else).

Any ideas?
The first thing you could try is to create static playlists on Guayadeque using the labels and play those.

The second is that you use a program or create a script to do that "export" the way you want it.
There is a relatively new but quite powerful tag editor called PuddleTag http://puddletag.sourceforge.net/index.html. I never tried something like what you want, but I think you can write functions to combine or split tag into other tags. If you have Windows, Mp3Tag is quite powerful http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html.
There are also command line programs that allow you to read and write tags, but I don't have experience with them.

Lastly, I don't know from what kind of devices you access your library, but if it's other computers, there are other ways to do it. I access my remote library from work using ssh and play it with Guayadeque.
samfuzz

write labels into tag

Post by samfuzz »

i don't think using the tag "grouping" is a good idea for storing guayadeque labels :

from id3v2.4 standard :

TIT1
The 'Content group description' frame is used if the sound belongs to
a larger category of sounds/music. For example, classical music is
often sorted in different musical sections (e.g. "Piano Concerto",
"Weather - Hurricane").

exemple :
grouping : classical
genre : Piano Concerto

and it 's using by soft like slimserver (squeezebox), ....

and for subgenre i 'm using multiple genre tag (hope multiple genre will be supported by guayadeque one day)
tamalet

write labels into tag

Post by tamalet »

I don't think that it should change how it's now. But at the time Guayadeque did not store the labels on the files that was an option.
I look forward for an option to also save ratings play counts to files.

By the way, you could use labels for subgenres (unless you want your tags to be Guayadeque independent).
camaron

write labels into tag

Post by camaron »

The reason why the labels feature in guayadeque is so good is because it address the obvious limitations of normal tags: album, artist, etc.

-Ideally labels should be store inside the files as metadata, one way or the other. Labels are just tags (and indeed ratings are just tags as well). This makes the information as portable and as safe as the files themselves. Anyone who has lost an application database to file corruption or whatever knows what I'm talking about.

-That labels can be given separately to albums/artists/tracks is kind of irrelevant: if you apply a label to an artist you are in fact giving the label to all the tracks by that artist. The main point here is that you can associate keywords (any keywords) to music.

-The very obvious model to follow is photography: you can save ANY keywords to a files and later just search for this metadata. The point here is that these keywords are not predefined.

-Playlists, ratings, genres are all very well but in the end the power comes from the possibility to search and filter your collection in anyway you want: I want to listen to some CAMERA MUSIC, from the BAROQUE era, with VIOLA in it, but not BACH this time.

So this is my very simple suggestion (very similar to what endscow was saying I think): let guayadeque write words ANYWERE, WHEREVER is best, or easier, or more convenient for compatibility INSIDE a file, and make this words searchable by guayadeque, as simple as that.

Is this technically hard?