write labels into tag

camaron

write labels into tag

Post by camaron »

tamalet wrote:Have you tried with a label added recently?
I'm not really sure, probably not. I need to check it out. Well this is major by the way, if it is true. Questions:

1-Can i transfer my old labels to the files and if so how?

2-Back to my point: are these labels searchable?
tamalet

write labels into tag

Post by tamalet »

camaron wrote: I'm not really sure, probably not. I need to check it out. Well this is major by the way, if it is true. Questions:

1-Can i transfer my old labels to the files and if so how?

2-Back to my point: are these labels searchable?
1. I also would like to know this. It's a good question for anonbeat.
In the worst case you would have to reapply all the labels. Dynamic playlists would be useful for that, but it can be tedious if you have many labels.

2. If by searchable you mean that what you write on the search box is searched in the labels tags, the answer is no. However, labels are searchable in the sense that you can select all the songs with a given label.
camaron

write labels into tag

Post by camaron »

tamalet wrote: If by searchable you mean that what you write on the search box is searched in the labels tags, the answer is no. However, labels are searchable in the sense that you can select all the songs with a given label.
Yes, that's what i mean of course: searchable through the search box like any other tag.
tamalet

write labels into tag

Post by tamalet »

I was thinking that a way to search within comment and labels (but not lyrics) is by creating a dynamic playlist. It's not so convenient as just typing on the search box, but it's more powerful because you can use "contains", "is", "begins with", etc.
anonbeat

write labels into tag

Post by anonbeat »

Labels are only saved to mp3 files as this moment. I plan to increment the file formats and also the info saved but other things came first

Thanks for your suggestions
camaron

write labels into tag

Post by camaron »

anonbeat wrote: but other things came first
Of course anon,

Anyway, what do you think about the idea of making labels (and other embedded metadata) searchable?
endscow

write labels into tag

Post by endscow »

I ended knocking up a quick java app to copy the label tag into the comment field for an entire directory tree recursively, which works just fine for my purposes. Thanks tamalet for the suggestion - I hadn't considered it.

I chose java only because it's what I'm familiar with. I initially tried to keep this simple by using id3v2 on the command with shell script but id3v2 couldn't read the v2.4 custom tag at all. So I ended up using Jaudiotagger java library.

If anyone would like this jar or the source, let me know.
camaron

write labels into tag

Post by camaron »

@endscow,

How are you going to use the tags in the comment field now? I feel curious about this because for what I know guayadeque is not able to search or filter there.
endscow

write labels into tag

Post by endscow »

As I mentioned, I want to use the labels in 'smart playlists' served up by firefly (which can't read the custom label field, but can read the standard comment field).

If I was only using guayadeque alone, I wouldn't need this feature.
tamalet

write labels into tag

Post by tamalet »

@endscow
Good to know that you solved your problem.