write labels into tag

camaron

write labels into tag

Post by camaron »

I'll add something more:

There is an assumption here I think: we are dealing with big collections mainly, that will keep growing. Guayadeque justly regards itself as being particularly good with big collections: no one would disagree with this. When you are dealing with big collections you need a to be able to SEARCH it (Google knows this very well). Sorry for stressing this point but being able to search is as important as being able to organize: I think that in fact guayadeque is very good at both but could indeed improve a lot, so I repeat my suggestion: let guayadeque write keywords into the files and then let it search for this.

Best regards :)
tamalet

write labels into tag

Post by tamalet »

@camaron
I mostly agree with your reasoning. In my case the need to save the metadata to the files is not only that you can lose the database, but also that I access my files from different places. I have to do some things as ratings twice, but others like play counts or last played times I just can't.

But I don't understand what is your suggestion. You can add any label that you want and they are now saved on the files. Are you suggesting that you should be able to create a custom tags where you put any value? I think that that would complicate things from the performance and usability point of view.

I haven't tried, but this sounds like what you are describing: http://code.google.com/p/quodlibet/
camaron

write labels into tag

Post by camaron »

@ tamalet
The idea is very simple: guayadeque could search the comments field. Just that. That's all it means.
I say the comments field because it is there already but if there is a better place that's fine.
See that this idea doesn't try to guess what you are going to write there. That's entirely up to you, in the same way that guayadeque doesn't pretend to guess what words you are going to use as labels.

@ anonbeat
This is not a suggestion to write the labels in the comments field. Quite literally the suggestion is for that field to be searchable. Having said that, if this was possible I woudn't personally keep the labels in my collection as I would just transfer them. Not only transfer them but I would use many more keywords than I do now.

@ tamalet: you could write into the comments field 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7..... for ratings and that's your rating saved into the files.
camaron

write labels into tag

Post by camaron »

By the way, thanks for the link. Sounds interesting.
camaron

write labels into tag

Post by camaron »

tamalet wrote:You can add any label that you want and they are now saved on the files. http://code.google.com/p/quodlibet/
I don't understand: can you save labels to the files?
tamalet

write labels into tag

Post by tamalet »

camaron wrote:I don't understand: can you save labels to the files?
Since a while now, labels are saved on the id3v2 of the file. See the first post of anonbeat in this thread.
tamalet

write labels into tag

Post by tamalet »

camaron wrote:@ tamalet The idea is very simple: guayadeque could search the comments field.
I see what you mean now. But first I would actually like to be able to have a column with comments where the new lines characters are replaced by something like "|" (this is what Media Monkey does). This also applies to lyrics.
Then I would like to be able to say in which fields to look for when searching, including comments and lyrics.
camaron wrote:@ tamalet: you could write into the comments field 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7..... for ratings and that's your rating saved into the files.
I could do that or even use labels (because as I told you before they are now saved on the files), but if there is a specific field for that and it is well integrated on the player (with the stars), I'd rather use it.
camaron

write labels into tag

Post by camaron »

I've just being importing some of my music into a laptop and as I was expecting none of my labels are there: what am I missing?
tamalet

write labels into tag

Post by tamalet »

I also have some labels that I see on one computer but not in the other. I wonder if it is because only recently Guayadeque started saving labels to files.
Have you tried with a label added recently?
camaron

write labels into tag

Post by camaron »

tamalet wrote:I would like to be able to say in which fields to look for when searching, including comments and lyrics.
Sure, that'd be a refinement.