Ubuntu sound/volume indicator

camaron

Post by camaron »

Hi anon,

I'm still concerned about the behaviour of guayadeque with the new soundmenu integration.

People seem to be having lots of issues, partly because of lack of awareness about the change, partly because they don't have a soundmenu to integrate with (not everyone runs ubuntu 10.10). The option to build without libindicator-dev is far to geeky an option for the vast majority of people.

I believe to provide integration was the right thing to do, but I also think for obvious reasons this should be optional (tickable in Preferences). This is in fact how it is meant to be as stated in the Soundmenu wiki: "The “General” tab in Rhythmbox’s “Preferences” window should also include a “Show Rhythmbox in the sound menu” checkbox."

What are your thoughts on this? Is it much of a technical issue to make this optional?
kiiroitori

Post by kiiroitori »

I think camaron is spot on. I just posted in another thread realizing the problem comes from soundmenu. Is guayadeque only targeted at Ubuntu users?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

I will add an option in preferences even when you have libindicate-dev installed.

Guayadeque is targeted to Gnome users mainly and not ubuntu only.

THanks for your help
pickarooney

Post by pickarooney »

I can't begin to comprehend how ridiculous this situation is... I didn't install linux to be dictated to by some asshat in Canonical about 'compliance'. I installed linux so I could set up my PC the way I wanted and not be forced to jump through all manner of pre-determined hoops just to get a bloody window to close when I tell it to close!

I'd had just about enough of Ubuntu's increasingly flaky releases and their hare-brained ideas like 'unity' and this is the last straw. There's no way I'm ever installing another Ubuntu release just so the clowns at Canonical can decide I need to use Ctrl-pound-Scroll Break to increase my volume.

I'm disappointed that anonbeat has taken the decision to render the software practically unusable for every user who doesn't have the exact OS setup of Ubuntu 10.10 with GNOME and sound manager (whatever that is). This is a huge backward step; guayadeque will never become more popular if you keep reducing the number of users who can actually run the thing. Jesus, to think I actually 'upgraded' to Maverick against my will to this rubbish Ubuntu release for the sole reason that I wanted to continue using g-que from SVN only to find this kind of carry-on...

edit: the last couple of posts made while I was typing this are a positive, but a lot of what I said still stands.
camaron

Post by camaron »

pickarooney wrote:I can't begin to comprehend how ridiculous this situation is... I didn't install linux to be dictated to by some asshat in Canonical about 'compliance'. I installed linux so I could set up my PC the way I wanted and not be forced to jump through all manner of pre-determined hoops just to get a bloody window to close when I tell it to close!

I'd had just about enough of Ubuntu's increasingly flaky releases and their hare-brained ideas like 'unity' and this is the last straw. There's no way I'm ever installing another Ubuntu release just so the clowns at Canonical can decide I need to use Ctrl-pound-Scroll Break to increase my volume.

I'm disappointed that anonbeat has taken the decision to render the software practically unusable for every user who doesn't have the exact OS setup of Ubuntu 10.10 with GNOME and sound manager (whatever that is). This is a huge backward step; guayadeque will never become more popular if you keep reducing the number of users who can actually run the thing. Jesus, to think I actually 'upgraded' to Maverick against my will to this rubbish Ubuntu release for the sole reason that I wanted to continue using g-que from SVN only to find this kind of carry-on...

edit: the last couple of posts made while I was typing this are a positive, but a lot of what I said still stands.
Calm down man!! If you've got issues with canonical go and shout at them. If you have issues with guayadeque come here but no need to shout. The case has been clearly exposed and understood. The way things work is: if there is something you don't like don't just bloody complain, try to make your case in a reasonable way: if it is reasonable the chances are that you are not alone on that and that it will be taken on board.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

As already should know Im very open to suggestions and I can make errors. Please remember you are using a development version and ths means there can be errors and faults. And can be also things that works only half way.

If you want to keep away of this and only use the 'ready' releases dont install the svn but use the official releases.

I can make errors and mistakes like every else. I thought that only will have installed libindicate-dev the ppl that had installed the soundmenu and they wanted this integrated in the system. As seems this is not the case I will make it optional so ppl can decide if they want it integrated with SoundMenu or not.

And please dont forget that I dont like the SoundMenu Idea at least for now but even when I didnt like I listened and added it.

As always, thank you for your help
camaron

Post by camaron »

anonbeat wrote: And please dont forget that I dont like the SoundMenu Idea at least for now but even when I didnt like I listened and added it.
and many thanks for that as usual...
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

The option in Preference to enable or disable the sound menu integration is done.

Be aware that even when sound menu integration have been droped the sound menu icon shows the guayadeque icon and current playing track but the guayadeque icon will be shown .

Thanks for your help
camaron

Post by camaron »

Thanks anonbeat, it works without issues here. This should be the end of it now :)
mekanix

Post by mekanix »

Hi anon!!! The current state is awesome!!!! Now that you have enabled the skip album using the shift button I can use the integration with sound menu! Thanks very much!!!!