Ubuntu sound/volume indicator

DonkeyKong

Post by DonkeyKong »

camaron wrote:I see. Well I'm not impress with the thing then: you can open the player from the soundmenu but you can't close it from it. You can call guayadeque on screen from it but can't minimise it from it. I find all this very inconsistent. I would have thought that the point of the soundmenu was to be able to open/close minimise/maximise the player without having to go to the player.

I know this is nothing to do with you anon, no worries :) but it makes me wonder/worry how Canonical are going about the whole concept of desktop interaction....
Why would you want to use the soundmenu to minimize the player when it is open? It's way easier to minimize it the usual way.
the point of the sound menu is to get the player out of the way while you don't need it to be focused so it doesn't distract you and to give you the ability to control it anyway.
camaron

Post by camaron »

DonkeyKong wrote: Why would you want to use the soundmenu to minimize the player when it is open? It's way easier to minimize it the usual way.
the point of the sound menu is to get the player out of the way while you don't need it to be focused so it doesn't distract you and to give you the ability to control it anyway.
Ask it the other way: why would you want two very different places within your screen to minimize and maximise your app.? Without the soundmenu they were both in the same place.
DonkeyKong

Post by DonkeyKong »

That's exactly what I mean. You can minimize your app using your minimize button. Why put this function in the sound menu if there is already a button that serves this exact purpose.
You _close_ your app to the sound menu. If you simply minimize it it still appears inside the window list in your panel. You minimize it via the minimize button and you restore it via the panel.
You close the app via the close button (the music keeps playing, but the window disappears so you can focus on other things) and you control it via the sound menu. If you want to open the window again you do so via the sound menu - same as starting it in the first place. There is no need to close it via the sound menu since once it is open, you can use the button that was designed for this purpose - the close button.
camaron

Post by camaron »

DonkeyKong wrote:That's exactly what I mean. You can minimize your app using your minimize button. Why put this function in the sound menu if there is already a button that serves this exact purpose.
You _close_ your app to the sound menu. If you simply minimize it it still appears inside the window list in your panel. You minimize it via the minimize button and you restore it via the panel.
You close the app via the close button (the music keeps playing, but the window disappears so you can focus on other things) and you control it via the sound menu. If you want to open the window again you do so via the sound menu - same as starting it in the first place. There is no need to close it via the sound menu since once it is open, you can use the button that was designed for this purpose - the close button.
I think it is simple and smart to reduce unnecessary dispersion: the button line is that the soundmenu doesn't provide any extra functionality itself. IMHO it makes sense when it provides ALL the basic functionality of the player without having to call the player, exactly as the player provides all basic functionality without having to go to a different application. Window management should be part of this functionality. So IMO the point of the sound menu is to provide all this staff: a kind of place holder for playing your music. .

I don't know what the plans are for it but I also think that eventually you should be able to give starts and possibly access your playlists from there.

Of course it might just be a case that I thought the behaviour was other and I need to get used to it and in the end everything will be alright, but I've got my doubts...
camaron

Post by camaron »

It doesn't escape to me that having started this thread I should probably be happier....:)
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

If you read the link I provided you can see where they are going to but I guess they want to go step by step.
mekanix

Post by mekanix »

The only thing I willreally miss is the skip album function... from the notification icon menu... it is possible to configure some key shortcuts to do this through mpris? Can someone explain me how to do this? :D I've never tried to configure mpri shortcuts... I'm searching the web but without success...
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Right now mpris or mpris2 dont allow this functionality without some programming as you need to get the playlist, find the next album track position and make that track the current track.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

camaron wrote:As tamalet says it doesn't appear in the menu. libindicate-dev is not installed automatically. I installed it manually and then rebuilt. Now guayadeque shows in the menu but WITHOUT COVER -ART. Thanks again for implementing this by the way.
with latest revisions are cover art showing ?

Thanks for your help
camaron

Post by camaron »

Hi anon, yes the covers show now, thanks for that. A small issues is that they don't always show the right one: sometimes it seems to choose a random one. If then I skip to nex/previous song and back to the same song it shows the right cover. That was yesterday after your fix, this morning I'm on last svn and so far so good.