Ubuntu sound/volume indicator

camaron

Post by camaron »

Thanks for the link btw. I've now read it and it seems obvious that functionality is going to be increased. I don't see much in terms of player-window management but it talks about player custom items. Maybe here there could be room for improvement in the future.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

camaron wrote:Hi anon, yes the covers show now, thanks for that. A small issues is that they don't always show the right one: sometimes it seems to choose a random one. If then I skip to nex/previous song and back to the same song it shows the right cover. That was yesterday after your fix, this morning I'm on last svn and so far so good.
Could you please try to track down when this is happening?

Thanks for your help
camaron

Post by camaron »

I've been checking random tracks for the last 1/2 hour and covers are showing right today, I guess something to do with last update. I'll keep and eye for this and will let you know.

Thanks
tiliqua

Post by tiliqua »

I like the new sound menu integration (on Maverick :) but hate the close button behaviour. When I click close, I want something to close, not minimise :) I know you said this is to make it a compliant player, but can you you make it a preference so we can at least have the choice? Perhaps choose between the close and minimise buttons to minimise to the sound menu?

Actually, while I like the sound menu integration, I'm still not sure if I prefer it over the systray icon. I remember you said you personally don't like sound menu integration so perhaps you could make it a preference to use one or the other?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

I dont like the soundmenu. I want to be able to add my own choices on right click over my icon and things like that but guess this is something that will come. For now I think the best is behave like its expected.

For now you can compile from svn and decide if you want systray icon or not not installing the soundmenu build dependency library

Think also that once I add shortcuts you will be able to close the app using alt-q for example

Thanks for your help
tiliqua

Post by tiliqua »

I understand your point about adding your own entries to the systray icon right click menu. Having a look at those entries, I think I prefer the functionality available in the systray icon so will compile from svn without libindicator-dev for now. The link you mentioned before (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoundMenu#Music ... %20section) discusses an API for custom menu items (to be implemented in a future version) so you might be able to replicate the systray icon functionality in the sound menu later if you choose to.

Regarding whether or not to show g-que in the sound menu, the above link also says "The player’s own settings interface should also have a checkbox for whether the player should be present in the sound menu right now".

Thanks for your efforts
camaron

Post by camaron »

I see that people on Lucid are having trouble due to lack of a high version of the sound menu. This makes me wonder: how is this going to affect to all the others with different distros?
mekanix

Post by mekanix »

Hi! I have decided to go back to notification area icon, sound menu is more integrated in the desktop environment, and I generally like to use the new indicators... but it lacks a lot of function I like.
After uninstalling guayadeque, rebuilding without libindicate and reinstalling, guayadeque is still present in the sound menu even though it doesn't work! How can I completely remove it from the sound menu?
Thanks
mekanix

Post by mekanix »

Anybody using emesene2 here?
I'm asking this because emesene2 developers have decided to integrate it in the messaging menu, so you can find its icon, in my case, under chat (which mean empathy) and evolution.
Parallel to this they have added an emesene item directly in the indicator applet, from this icon it's possible to do several things (change status, close the program, etc.).

Maybe it could be an idea to to something similar for guayadeque! Integrating it in the sound menu and move the current notification area icon (without play, next song, prev song which are in the sound menu) to the indicator applet.

Well... "moving" it is not the best solution, I think users should have the possibility to decide if they want to use notification icon or the sound menu + indicator item
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

mekanix wrote:Hi! I have decided to go back to notification area icon, sound menu is more integrated in the desktop environment, and I generally like to use the new indicators... but it lacks a lot of function I like.
After uninstalling guayadeque, rebuilding without libindicate and reinstalling, guayadeque is still present in the sound menu even though it doesn't work! How can I completely remove it from the sound menu?
Thanks
Uninstall guayadeque. Restart sound menu applet so the guayadeque entry is removed and then reinstall guayadeque

Thanks for your help