UTF-8 Locale / Unicode Problems

Use this category to discuss anything related to the development of Guayadeque.
arcanum

Post by arcanum »

Guayadeque can read unicode tags, but is unable to import songs that contain unicode characters at any directory level or in the filename. This is a problem for me, because I often download music by foreign artists, and typically the filenames are the same as the song titles. Some songs will import fine, but others that contain non-ascii characters (e.g. Ö), will not import until manually changed to ascii equivalents (such as o).

I manage my music collection with directories, and usually have a faithful representation of the artist's name and the title of albums. It can be very tedious to try to cope with this problem, so I'm suggesting that a fix is made soon. Hope this has been helpful.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Can you please tell me what is your locale and also can you send me some of that files to my email so I can test it ? send it to anonbeat at gmail dot com or upload to a server and email me the link

Thanks for your help
arcanum

Post by arcanum »

I'm using a UTF-8 locale, running gentoo. I don't know what you want me to send, though - some examples of files that don't import?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Yes please send some files that dont import so I can test here if fails and why. I will try to fix the problem.
arcanum

Post by arcanum »

I've sent them to your email - hope it'll lead to some progress. g/l
deva1984

Post by deva1984 »

I am a chinese user using UTF-8 locale. As you can image, I have many albums and song from chinese artists. But guayadeque somehow failed to read the artists' names correctly when seeking lyrics. So it found nothing in lyricWiki even I'm sure lyricWiki has them. And when I checked ~/.guayadeque/lyrics/ , folders with names like "0%C2%A5%04" were created.