Music brainz for external music?

Use this category to discuss anything related to the development of Guayadeque.
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

Not sure how to word the title but, maybe this just isnt implemented and has been brought up before.

Problem is, can't search MusicBrains for songs that are NOT in the library, i.e I open a recently downloaded song and right click in the playlist/now playing, and go to the song editor>MusicBrainz and search, and no matter what I search for or what song it is, if it isn't in the library it just won't search. Does that make sense?
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

You can look for anything on MusicBrainz, just type it on the Artists and Title fields.

By the way, it seems that recently there were some changes on the server. For instance it changed how multi-CD albums are handled. You used to have one result per CD, now you have one for the whole set.
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

regards, but searching musicbrainz is not the problem, although it would be nice to see an additional db, the problem remains.

not sure how to be more specific. the issue is, if you add a song to now playing, say from nautilus by right clicking or double clicking, it then opens with Guaya, and is either qued or starts playing, the problem is, these tracks cant be searched for in musicbrianz in any way, it just wont query the search, no matter how many different songs i try, if it isnt in the 'library' you cant use musicbrainz. hope this helps
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

Oh, I see now. Guayadeque works around its library, so it doesn't surprise me that.
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

It is understandable, perhaps this calls for removing the musicbrainz part of the tag editor from the now playing or just for songs that arent in the library, if it can check that? the tag editing part still seems to work fine for songs not in the library, so id hate to lose that functionality to, its only musicbrainz thats an issue.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

It should works for every track. No matter if its in the library or not. I just tested it with tracks not in the library and it worked.
Can you give me more details about what happens ?
Not every track are found in the MusicBrainz database. Sometimes you need to try a few times till find a track that is found.
Please also read the documentation regarding this

Thanks for your help
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

Yeah I know musicbrainz isnt complete, and maybe this is just on my end. What happens isnt like it isnt in musicbrainz though, as it doesnt matter what track it is, ive tried with tracks and albums that i have confirmed are in musicbrainz, but it never even tries to search, it just 'finishes' with no results, instantly, every time.

I did just reinstall though, so it could be fixed now, and coule have been something I did wrong building in the past. quick question though

If I install/build(buildd) from svn, do I need to install some other way first, I ask as I just did the svn/buildd fresh and I dont have any menu entries, the system acts like it isnt installed. Did I do something wrong? Basically I just followed the svn instructions, now Im guessing maybe I was supposed to install with synaptic or something first?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Please can you send me some files that always fails for you to my email ?

If works for tracks in database it should work with tracks not in database.

Thanks for your help
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

Hmm, it would seem you are right, it seems it was only something on my old install that prevented this from working correctly, but now it works fine on the new install. Sorry for the confusion, I dont know why this was happening but it is fixed now.

Also the problem about building still has me stumped, it displays guayadeque as installed, with the icon, when I search for it from the menu, it just doesnt have a menu entry and it doesnt display in synaptic anywhere or as installed. Maybe it isnt supposed to be in synaptic or apt, but it should have created a menu entry when I did sudo make install right?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Yes it should be under Sound & Video menu.