Segfault and other glitches

Use this category to discuss anything related to the development of Guayadeque.
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

Well I tested all the different option, and it seems to be doing anything inside of the 'Songs Editor' whether it be in musicbrainz or not, single track or entire album. Even in just the lyrics tab, it lags terribly.

I have dealt with it so far and just have patience to wait until it unlags and I can go to the next option, most of my time is spent in musicbrainz or single field editing, for example removing comments on one track and copying to all using that button, but whatever it is, it affects all of the Song Editor.

EDIT: I tested some more and it seems to be the initial choosing of a field or option or tab, but once inside the actual text field, it stops lagging, and it also makes the entire tab more responsive, so its something with loading the tab/option? but then it will lag when you go to click to copy to all, or ok/cancel, or change tabs, and then lag again before selecting an option inside of one of these tabs.

Hope this helps
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

If the mouse cursor is the working one its normal that behaves slowly as its still getting the results from musicbrainz. You should wait a bit till the cursor goes normal so the results are read completelly.

Let me know if thats not the case.

Thanks for your help
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

Sorry but no thats not an issue at all. Maybe I can make a video demonstrating what I mean.

The issue is before even getting to the point where you can click the search button in MusicBrainz.

Simply put, when you go to click inside of a field, it takes 3-5 seconds before youre allowed to click, or before it actually allows you to type in the field. The same goes for clicking buttons like the search one, or Ok, Cancel, etc. And it doesn't only happen in MusicBrainz, it happens everywhere in the Songs Editor.

So anytime you go to select a field, or option, or click a button, it lags for 3-5 seconds, maybe longer. And then another delay when changing to another tab, and then another delay when inside of the new tab, and then another delay if you click a button like search or copy to all, and then another delay to click Ok/Cancel and so on, I went ahead and tested with and without a song playing and it doesn't appear to make a difference.
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

You can click the text field/tab/button as soon as you see it, but you have to wait 3-5 seconds before your click goes through, and sometimes you have to click again.

Making any sense?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Yes please make a video and send the link or the video to anonbeat at gmail dot com
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

sorry for the wait, sent from atz3 at yahoo dot ca

also, the video was a total of 6 minutes long, but the app i used sped it up to under 3, but you should be able to tell just by that how much its been lagging. this could be totally unrelated to Guayadeque, but I don't see what would cause it? it occurs with or without audio playing, if that matters at all.

thanks again
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Thank you for the video.
Can you tell me details like computer specs, distro, window manager, theme used, etc
I see an anormal lag just refreshing the screen but that is not normal at all. And its only you who complained about something like that so it must be someting on your setup.
I even try that in a Pentium IV 3Ghz and the usage is normal

Thanks for your help
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

System: Host * Kernel 2.6.35-25-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint 10 Julia
CPU: Single core Intel Atom N450 (-HT-) cache 512 KB bmips 3324.69
Clock Speeds: (1) 1667.00 MHz (2) 1667.00 MHz
CPU Flags fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi
mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni
dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm dts
Graphics: Card Intel N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.9.0 Res: 1024x600@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel IGD GEM 20100330 DEVELOPMENT GLX Version 1.4 Mesa 7.9-devel Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
Network: Card-1 Marvell 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller driver sky2 v: 1.28 at port 2000 BusID: 09:00.0
Card-2 Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver ath9k BusID: 05:00.0
Disks: HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (89.8% used) 1: /dev/sda SAMSUNG_HM250HI 250.1GB 33C
Partition: ID:/ size: 224G used: 210G (99%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 uuid: ad0b6a73-5390-4424-9026-b508d862ccf1
ID:/dev size: 990M used: 252K (1%) fs: devtmpfs dev: /dev/none uuid: N/A
ID:swap-1 size: 6.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5 uuid: 8e483819-85cc-4887-a59b-f37b317738da
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 59.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes 208 Uptime 10:35 Memory 820.5/1998.7MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.12

samsung n150(netbook) i set cpufreq at startup to "performance", as high as possible, using gnome/metacity, theme Gred

i know its a single core, and i do get some lagging occasionally, so maybe its just me, i cant really test on my other boxes without moving the entire library so thats not an option right now, for now i will test different settings and perhaps just live with it, i always forget about the limitations of my atom
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

I dont think that atom n450 is less powerfull than a Pentium IV 3Ghz
l300lvl

Post by l300lvl »

Okay, I did some testing and these are the results:

Worked in KDE, or so I thought, everything was fast, but I was doing something else different....

Switched back to gnome, changed themes, thought HEY, that did it...but no, I was doing something different still...

The ultimate problem was Bluetooth..I normally use a bluetooth headset for music, but I had removed my bluetooth device during testing. Seems I noticed this was an issue before but I didnt realize it, I tested with 3 bluetooth adapters and they all result in the same lagging. It only appears to have an affect in Guayadeque though, not sure why?

Any ideas?

For now I will just do all my tag editing when I'm not using bluetooth, so its not the end of the world anymore :D