Portable device support questions, bug reports, etc HERE

Use this category to discuss anything related to the development of Guayadeque.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

More comments:

.In the middle of the bar representing the space of the device it would be nice to have the the free / total space. E.g. 4 GB Free / 16 GB Capacity

.If the transcode quality is better that the actual quality, nothing gets copied but you get a notification saying that the files were copied. You would expect that the files are copied unchanged.

.I tried copying a 320kpbs mp3 album, with the quality set to low. The disc was copied but the quality was not changed.

.In the context menu of the playlist there is a Copy to... option but it's diferent from the Copy to... option that you get in the library. I think these two should be unified. Maybe in the copy to that has a submenu with the portable devices there could be and option Other that lets you choose any folder. If there is no portable device then there would be no submenu and that would be the default action.

.I think that the properties of the device should also be accessible from the preferences. That was the first thing I tried and I had to read the forums to see how to access the properties. And probably they should be integrated with the Copy to preferences. For example there could be a combo box where you select the device with one entry Other for the normal copy.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

tamalet wrote:More comments:

.In the middle of the bar representing the space of the device it would be nice to have the the free / total space. E.g. 4 GB Free / 16 GB Capacity

.If the transcode quality is better that the actual quality, nothing gets copied but you get a notification saying that the files were copied. You would expect that the files are copied unchanged.

.I tried copying a 320kpbs mp3 album, with the quality set to low. The disc was copied but the quality was not changed.

.In the context menu of the playlist there is a Copy to... option but it's diferent from the Copy to... option that you get in the library. I think these two should be unified. Maybe in the copy to that has a submenu with the portable devices there could be and option Other that lets you choose any folder. If there is no portable device then there would be no submenu and that would be the default action.

.I think that the properties of the device should also be accessible from the preferences. That was the first thing I tried and I had to read the forums to see how to access the properties. And probably they should be integrated with the Copy to preferences. For example there could be a combo box where you select the device with one entry Other for the normal copy.
. Well I dont know if i will be able to add it in the midle but at least bellow the bar it should appear

. For the tests I have made if the quality of the selected files is higher it gets copied. Can you update and check again with latest svn ?

. I need to change the Now Playing Copy To menu. Missed that :) sorry

. The device preferences are independent for every device. This is why its not accesible from preferences but from the panel itself. To know which one you are editing. I think its more clear this way.

Have you notices that now you can have many copy to patterns defined which you can identify with an alias or name ?

Thanks for your help
mekanix

Post by mekanix »

Hi anon!

can you tell us about which kind of features you are thinking to add to the portable media support in the feature?

This could be very useful for us all, so we know more or less when you want to go and we can make better suggestions

Thanks
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

I would love to add MTP support and next iPod support.
I want to allow to manage the playlists in the device that supports it too.
I want to copy the cover when configured too

For now this is all i guess
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

anonbeat wrote:For the tests I have made if the quality of the selected files is higher it gets copied. Can you update and check again with latest svn ?

I need to change the Now Playing Copy To menu. Missed that :) sorry
It's working fine now, thanks.
anonbeat wrote:The device preferences are independent for every device. This is why its not accesible from preferences but from the panel itself. To know which one you are editing. I think its more clear this way.
I was thinking that in you could also access it from the preferences in a section Devices where you would have a combo box to choose one of the available devices. Once you choose one you get the properties of that device.
anonbeat wrote:Have you notices that now you can have many copy to patterns defined which you can identify with an alias or name ?
I didn't know, I've never used to Copy to function. Shouldn't those patterns be available at the Copy to Device too?
I just find it strange that to old Copy to and the new Copy to Device functions are basically the same operation but their preferences are not unified.
mekanix

Post by mekanix »

May I suggest some things?

Regarding the cover, my player doesn't need cover.jpg in the folder of the album, it reads the cover from tag (id v2.3 not 2.4, do you remember my issue?) so it would be cool to let user decide if he wants the cover to be saved as file or not.

Again regarding the cover. My player is an MTP player, when I use windows media player to add albums, in some way the covers are saved as separate files in a specific folder of my player, with encoded (I think) filenames, such as: 000001BB.jpg 000001CA.jpg ...
I don't know if this is done automatically by mtp, or what.

Give the possibility to right click on an album in the album panel of portable player view and delete it from context menu (this would be great in the main library too)

When I delete all the songs from an album, due to my file organization on the player, I leave a folder empty (except the cover art), I think guayadeque should recognize this and delete the folder. Then delete the up folder if it is empty too (example I have only one album from an artist, organized as musicfolder/artist/album/*.mp3), and so on recursively.

Allow more settings for portable player, for example when I plug a player guayadeque open its panel automatically and update it (but of course users must have the possibility to choose for which player he wants guayadeque to do this)

Ok, that's all for now!
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

I support mekanix suggestions.

And it would also be nice to have a way to cancel the copy operations. They can take really long if you are transcoding.
rotwang888

Post by rotwang888 »

First thoughts connecting with a 16gb iaudio 7. It took 5 minutes to scan the contents. I'll have to see how long it takes next time, but if it's always that long it'll be inconvenient to quickly copy a file or two over, and it would be much quicker with the file manager or cp in a terminal. I have the same problem as the main library with blank lines after the first page of files, but I seem to be the only person on earth with that problem. EDIT-found the transcoding settings. I'm dumb. But a button might be better than the right-click. I haven't tried yet, but what will it do if it is set to "keep quality" converting from flac to ogg or mp3? Also, it would be much more useful for me to have the device panel set up file browser style.
rotwang888

Post by rotwang888 »

I just transferred a flac album, and it was not transcoded. I have the device formats set to mp3 and ogg, with transcode set to ogg with the "unsupported formats only" option. I assumed that with these settings flac (although my player does support flac I don't really need that quality on a portable usually and space is limited) would be an "unsupported format". Am I missing something?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

mekanix wrote:May I suggest some things?

Regarding the cover, my player doesn't need cover.jpg in the folder of the album, it reads the cover from tag (id v2.3 not 2.4, do you remember my issue?) so it would be cool to let user decide if he wants the cover to be saved as file or not.

Again regarding the cover. My player is an MTP player, when I use windows media player to add albums, in some way the covers are saved as separate files in a specific folder of my player, with encoded (I think) filenames, such as: 000001BB.jpg 000001CA.jpg ...
I don't know if this is done automatically by mtp, or what.

Give the possibility to right click on an album in the album panel of portable player view and delete it from context menu (this would be great in the main library too)

When I delete all the songs from an album, due to my file organization on the player, I leave a folder empty (except the cover art), I think guayadeque should recognize this and delete the folder. Then delete the up folder if it is empty too (example I have only one album from an artist, organized as musicfolder/artist/album/*.mp3), and so on recursively.
I would like to have a MTP device to do testings but I cant access to any. I will need to buy one.

I will add the option to delete a whole Album. I agree that its very convenient.
Allow more settings for portable player, for example when I plug a player guayadeque open its panel automatically and update it (but of course users must have the possibility to choose for which player he wants guayadeque to do this)

Ok, that's all for now!
Guayadeque should not open any device automatically but when you select it.

Thanks for your help