Portable device support questions, bug reports, etc HERE

Use this category to discuss anything related to the development of Guayadeque.
Hairybiker

Post by Hairybiker »

Is there an option to wipe the mp3 player when transferring a playlist to it?
e.g. I have a random playlist of 1G that I want to transfer over to my mp3 player replacing the existing music.
Or do I need to manually remove them before I transfer the "new" playlist over?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

You can use the Delete tracks option from the portable device library view. BUt there is not an option to globally delete all tracks.
Hairybiker

Post by Hairybiker »

Thanks
Israel

Post by Israel »

Hi, I have been looking for a good music player to support my MP3 player (MTP). I read your documentation on the portable music devices, and it says I can access it through "View -> Portable Media Devices" however this option does not exist. It may be that my MP3 player just isn't recognized by your program. I would like to get away from using Rhythmbox because it is slightly buggy. I have tried many different players so far, and I had hopes that it would work. So, my suggestion for a feature to add would be a button, or icon that appears when you plug in the device. But, I like your program because it loaded lightning fast, and your cover art system is GREAT!! I would like to make this my main player, but I wont use it if I can't use my MP3 player.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

@Israel : What version are you using? I suggest you to install the svn version from my ppa.

Thanks for your help
Israel

Post by Israel »

@anon Thanks!! I installed the ppa... I have a lot of tracks on my MP3 player, so I see what everyone is talking about. it sure is VERY sluggish to load. In order to get a broader user base, figuring out a way to make the whole scan process faster would be ideal. Some users might not notice the numbers changing @ the bottom of the screen and think it was buggy. It seems like there should be a way to mount it and access it without having to load it into your program. I saw you comment on that a while back.... But, in this fast paced world not many people are patient. It has taken 10 minutes to load 1/3 of the files. Other programs would load it in under a minute. I think that is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. But, so far other than the portable device stuff it has been nice. It has shut down a few times with somewhat normal usage. I will try to pay attention and reproduce it again. I know i clicked a playlist and moved it into the Now Playing field and crashed the program, but I haven't reproduced it again yet. I'll let you know when I can reproduce it.
Israel

Post by Israel »

@anon Oh NO!!! I was not able to access my MP3 device, and even worse, ALL files were deleted from it. bummer. It loaded approx 1200 out of 1500+ files, then all the sudden there was "no device connected". Definitely a huge bug. I am using a SanDisk MTP player. let me know if you need me to post any output.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

MTP support havent been added yet. Ubuntu and many other distros shows the mtp device as a file system. Guayadeque can use that filesystem to load and put tracks on it.
If you can configure your device to not be MTP that will be the best solution as mtp support is not very good in linux.
for such reason this bug you mention must be a distro mtp support bug.
Israel

Post by Israel »

well, it also uses MSC. Does that explain the extremely long scan time? I did configure it to use MSC. It didn't actually load into Guayadeque correctly under the MTP mode. sorry I get the 2 acronyms mixed up
Schasoli

Post by Schasoli »

my first impression:
- portable devices makes sense for my mp3-player to load music on it.
- It still works with my mobile phone which I use as a mp3-player, but it runs through al the files.
- nice to copy files on the phone

it has bugs:
high:
- if I kill the process of reading portable device the hole program crashes without report
- if portable device is read and I click it under 'sources' it crashes (report attached)

request for portable devices:
- show 'device name' instead of the size of mounted filesystem
- unmount option also at 'views > portable device' and 'sources'
- tab 'portable device' remains after unmounting
- in 'view>portable devices>name' it would be nicer to have a menu like the one if I add sth. to my music-collection
-- so it does not scan all the portable device (with many photos, podcasts etc.)
-- it copys the file not into root of portable device
-- maybe it could remember the portable device (just rescan given paths)
- Not part of the views 'file' or 'tree'.
- not part of my music-collection. ( with the lable 'name of portabal device' )
- unmounts when files in playlist. Better: "there are files in the playlist, remove them from playlist?"

xml files can not be attached - wrong file type - is this purpose?