Portable device support questions, bug reports, etc HERE

Use this category to discuss anything related to the development of Guayadeque.
Post Reply
User avatar
anonbeat
Posts: 1960
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:47 pm

Portable device support questions, bug reports, etc HERE

Post by anonbeat » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:28 pm

I need opinion on how to handle playlists and album browser for the portable devices. It can be done like most other players do with a panel where you can select the source (local, jamendo, magnatune, media player, etc ) or from every pane can be a choice that allow to select what source to inspect so you can be browsing albums from the main library, having the library for a specific device open and also with the playlists of other device open.

Dont know if I explained it well.

Right now dont copy playlists or covers.

Please post here everything regarding the testing of the portable device support

tamalet
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 am

Portable device support questions, bug reports, etc HERE

Post by tamalet » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:14 am

I will reproduce part of what I already wrote in the Ubuntu's forums.
I've tried the the new functionality with my wife's Cowon S9, which is recognized as a USB device.
In general it worked very well, even copying (I didn't try transcoding yet).

Some issues:
As reported, each time I plugin the device it and open it's library, it does an update of the device.

In the properties of the device:

It would be helpful to have some help about the meaning of the variables, e.g. {a}, like in the preferences of Copy to.

The Audio Folder selection button does not work, but at least you can write the path manually.

Can you explain what the different qualities are in terms of kbps, maybe between parenthesis?, e.g. Very High (320 kbps), Good (128 kbps), etc.

Can you add the unit next to the cover size? I assume it's KBs.

User avatar
anonbeat
Posts: 1960
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:47 pm

Portable device support questions, bug reports, etc HERE

Post by anonbeat » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:02 am

tamalet wrote:I will reproduce part of what I already wrote in the Ubuntu's forums.
I've tried the the new functionality with my wife's Cowon S9, which is recognized as a USB device.
In general it worked very well, even copying (I didn't try transcoding yet).

Some issues:
As reported, each time I plugin the device it and open it's library, it does an update of the device.

In the properties of the device:

It would be helpful to have some help about the meaning of the variables, e.g. {a}, like in the preferences of Copy to.

The Audio Folder selection button does not work, but at least you can write the path manually.

Can you explain what the different qualities are in terms of kbps, maybe between parenthesis?, e.g. Very High (320 kbps), Good (128 kbps), etc.

Can you add the unit next to the cover size? I assume it's KBs.
The device is updated everytime because the program need to know what have been added or removed since the last time it was pluged in. Need to rescan the whole drive because tracks could be added or removed in other computer or outside the program.

For me the audio folder selection works fine. What is not working with it ?


For mp3, wma, m4a : 320, 256, 192, 160, 128, 96, 64
For ogg : 1, 0.9, 0.8, 0.7, 0.6, 0.5, 0.2
For flac : 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 2

If you want to read about ogg quality refer to gstreamer documentation for the vorbisenc or flacenc elements.

The cover size is in pixels its 100x100 the default. This is not my decision but cames from the .is_audio_player for Mass Storage Devices players.

Thank you very much for your help

mekanix
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Portable device support questions, bug reports, etc HERE

Post by mekanix » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:25 am

tamalet wrote:
The Audio Folder selection button does not work, but at least you can write the path manually.
I have this same problem... If I try to select using to folder selection dialog, the path remain "/", I have to write it manually! My player is MTP, maybe this problem is related to the MTP stuff??

Could it be possible to let user decide if he wants to use MTP device with MTP protocol or not?
Let me explain better, with old version of banshee, the MTP protocol didn't work for my player, so I disabled it and make banshee recognize the player as a common player without MTP support

tamalet
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 am

Portable device support questions, bug reports, etc HERE

Post by tamalet » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:56 am

anonbeat wrote:The device is updated everytime because the program need to know what have been added or removed since the last time it was pluged in. Need to rescan the whole drive because tracks could be added or removed in other computer or outside the program.
That makes sense. I just wanted to let you know because there was some discussion about reloading.
anonbeat wrote:For me the audio folder selection works fine. What is not working with it ?
As mekanix says, you can select any folder in the dialog box but the Audio Folder path always stays in "/".
anonbeat wrote:

Code: Select all

For mp3, wma, m4a : 320, 256, 192, 160, 128,  96,  64
For ogg           :   1, 0.9, 0.8, 0.7, 0.6, 0.5, 0.2
For flac          :   9,   8,   7,   6,   5,   4,   2
If you want to read about ogg quality refer to gstreamer documentation for the vorbisenc or flacenc elements.
Could you add this between parenthesis next to the quality description?. You already know the format when you choose the quality, so you can make it specific for that format. Any way it's just a detail.
anonbeat wrote:The cover size is in pixels its 100x100 the default. This is not my decision but cames from the .is_audio_player for Mass Storage Devices players.
Ah, OK, good to know. But can you add "pixels" then?

User avatar
anonbeat
Posts: 1960
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:47 pm

Portable device support questions, bug reports, etc HERE

Post by anonbeat » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:13 am

I just added a tooltip to the pattern so it helps to enter the right keys.

Could you update and try to add a folder and send me the output of the console while doing it ?

Thanks for your help

tamalet
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 am

Portable device support questions, bug reports, etc HERE

Post by tamalet » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:35 am

I just tried it but when I right clicked to open the properties of my USB, it crashed:

02:31:57 PM: Checking /media/MYLINUXLIVE//Music/Muse/The Resistance/11 - Exogenesis_ Symphony, Pt. 3_ Redemption.mp3
02:32:23 PM: ... 'home'
02:32:23 PM: ... 'MYLINUXLIVE'
02:32:23 PM: PanelActive: -1
02:32:23 PM: PanelActive: 0
Segmentation fault

I am making a ./buildd now to try to get more info, but I am in my laptop, it will take some time.

tamalet
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 am

Portable device support questions, bug reports, etc HERE

Post by tamalet » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:41 am

I run it again and it didn't crash. The tooltips are nice. The only minor thing is that Disk and Title on the right column are not aligned.

tamalet
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 am

Portable device support questions, bug reports, etc HERE

Post by tamalet » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:41 am

I know how to reproduce the bug, I just have to right click on my (normal) library. I will mail a backtrace.

User avatar
anonbeat
Posts: 1960
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:47 pm

Portable device support questions, bug reports, etc HERE

Post by anonbeat » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:08 am

Thanks

Post Reply