Load additional information on demand?

Use this category to discuss anything related to the development of Guayadeque.
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

Today I was having a quick look at the latest version of Clementine.
One of their new features is the ability to get information about the artist from Last.fm, similar to the Last.fm tab in Guayadeque.
In particular I wanted to see how it impacted performance and resources.
I liked what I saw, they don't load all the information every time, it is loaded only when you have the track info view open. Same with lyrics. When it is loading it does a nice blur effect that makes it look professional.

My understanding is that Guayadeque loads all the necessary data for the Last.fm tab and the lyrics tab if they are open, but not necessarily active, i.e. that you are looking at it. I always leave these tabs open but I rarely use them, specially at work where I don't even have the player visible.
If this assumption is correct, wouldn't it be better to load these tabs only when you make them active?
There may be a small loading time, but I think it is understandable, like when one loads a web page. But it will be only when you really want to access that information.

I think this would help to make Guayadeque a bit more light, which is one of its main features, if not the most important.
camaron

Post by camaron »

Which ever way with time (as you play through your library) the cache database grows and guayadeque doesn't need to get any information from the internet (or far less)

This maybe raises the question of whether the size of the cache affects performance. My cache is now about 340 mbs but performances doesn't seem affected, I don't know for other people.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

One thing you may not notices is that in guayadeque if the tab is not active doesnt mean its not visible. You can have a layout that shows the lyrics and last.fm even when they are not visible so I think if you dont want to load that info close it.

For example http://sourceforge.net/apps/gallery/gua ... alNumber=1

Thanks for your help
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

I know that you can do that, on my desktop at home I always have the lyrics visible.
But you are right, my description is wrong, what matters is not if the tab is active but if it is visible.
That may do things a bit more difficult but the idea is still the same. For instance I always leave the Last.fm tab open, but I usually don't look at it. But sometime I do, that's why I leave it open.
I won't care if those times I look at it there is a small loading time if that means that all the other times there is no data that I don't need that is being retrieved.

But I must say that I don't experience any CPU use at the time, so I don't know how much of a difference it can make.

And of course I could close the Last.fm tab and open it when I want it. But most people just leave it open I was thinking that this may be a little improvement for the performance of the general case.

By the way, would it be possible to show a list of possible tabs to open when you right click on the header of a tab?