Ipod copying - nothing showing up

General discussions
BongoTheBozo

Post by BongoTheBozo »

I just got a new Ipod and I've copied over all all my guayadeque library (could find no option to sync) but having done this guayadeque isn't showing anything on the Ipod tab, even after updating & rescanning.
In addition Ipod is showing no music - absolutely nothing is showing up there - though it's showing 85Gb being used. When I go into the ipod icon on Ubuntu (12.04) it shows all my music on there organised in the same folders I have it in in my music library rather than the F04, etc filing system apple use.

My thinking is that my music has been copied over as data hence ipod isn't recognising it, but I don't know why guayadeque isn't recognising anything on the ipod.

Any tips on how I can get all my music available on the Ipod and how I can manage it on guayadeque?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

I tried with ipod nano and ipod video 5 and both worked fine. What are the device you are using ?
BongoTheBozo

Post by BongoTheBozo »

Ipod Classic 160Gb, I believe 6th generation
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

I will ask around to see if I can get my hands on one like this...
BongoTheBozo

Post by BongoTheBozo »

I can confirm that the guayadeque library's being copied over as data, I've got onto a windows system & connected with Itunes, it shows 85Gb taken up with 'other' rather than music. So that's data.

I've also reset the ipod & copied some music from itunes to rule out any issue with the ipod. The music shows & plays fine when copied from Itunes. So looks like a guayadeque copying issue.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

What version of guayadeque are you using ?
If you are compiling your own version from svn, be sure you have installed the gpod libraries development packages.
libgpod-dev package
BongoTheBozo

Post by BongoTheBozo »

The Itunes reset of the ipod appears to have done something as I've now been able to copy over an album from guayadeque and it's showing up on the guayadeque ipod tab. It does seem to be copying over extremely slowly though, like maybe a minute a track.
Previously (when it didn't show up) it was a lot quicker.
I'm copying over my library now & I'll leave it while I go to work & check if it's working when I get back.
BongoTheBozo

Post by BongoTheBozo »

So after 10 hours it's copying song 2,814 of 14,555. Can't see yet whether they're actually going on the ipod properly, but it's slow. That may be a positive sign as previously when it saved as data it was much much faster but its this a normal timescale for copying to an ipod/hard disk?
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

Something must be wrong... I dont have any ipod like yours to check sorry
BongoTheBozo

Post by BongoTheBozo »

So that's my library copied to the ipod, to an extent anyway.
Clearly something's wrong, this is what I've noticed:

1) I have 14,581 songs on my guayadeque library, only 13,935 are showing on the guayadeque ipod tab, but the ipod itself is showing 14,581 songs!
Looking through the lists by track # I see a few songs which are missing on guayadeque ipod tab, but they're listed on the ipod.

2) Ipod isn't playing any of the songs added from guayadeque - it's not moving the time up from 0:00, no timer moving across the screen (or even visible) and not playing any music.
The album I'd previously transferred from Itunes is playing fine, timer working, pause, etc. So it's playing tracks copied via itunes but not guayadeque but is 'seeing' them all as being on the ipod.
Playing the songs on ipod via the guayadeque ipod tab works fine, but it plays via the computer rather than the headphones.
I've tried to use banshee to test if it can copy to the ipod & be visible in guayadeque, etc but it's just reminded me how bad banshee is, it shut-down about 4 times in the attempt. The album I copied wasn't showing up in guayadeque after updating & recanning but it does appear and play on the ipod.

3) When I try to play an album it doesn't play but if I push pause then play again it starts every 5 seconds or so changing the display up from 1 of 10 to 2 of 10, 3 of 10, etc. So it's thinking it's playing and counting the tracks up. It does the same on shuffle songs or all songs of a particular artist.

4) All album art has transferred over

5) It took 1 day 11 hours 35 minutes to copy the songs over which I make 9.19 seconds a song.

I really have no idea what's going on here, very weird to say the least. Hopefully the above is helpful in troubleshooting this issue & helping you ensure guayadeque can work well in future.
Let me know if there's any tests you want me to do or any further light I can shed on this but I'm going to be checking out other music managers & seeing how they perform with the ipod. Despite its excellence in every other respect if guayadeque can't copy songs to my ipod I can't use it, it's just a shame as it's a great player & this issue is so bizarre I have no idea what to do about it.