Custom Tags

General discussions
tberman333

Custom Tags

Post by tberman333 »

I was wondering if there was a way to use custom tags to create both playlists and to change the look/layout of Guayadeque?

I have a fairly large music collection (about 30,000 tracks) and have been using Foobar on Windows to manage it for years. All of my music is very well tagged, but I have created some custom tags that I use to help create playlists and customize the layout of Foobar.

I have been looking for a Linux equivalent for a long time and thought that Guayadeque was finally going to be it. Does anyone know if this is possible? If not, can anyone suggest any Linux music player that will support custom tags?

Thanks for the help!
tamalet

Custom Tags

Post by tamalet »

Guayadeque has an equivalent to custom tags called labels. You can label a track, album or artist with a custom tag and use it to create dynamic playlists.

But you will have to label again your tracks. Probably you can do it semi-automatically by for instance creating a playlist in foobar with all the songs with a custom tag, import that playlist in guayadeque and label those tracks with the equivalent label.
tberman333

Custom Tags

Post by tberman333 »

Thanks for the help... the problem is I use more than one custom tag. Some tracks will have up to four different tags that are custom.
anonbeat

Custom Tags

Post by anonbeat »

you can have as many lables you want to tracks, artists or albums
tberman333

Custom Tags

Post by tberman333 »

I get that, but here are some examples of what I would need to duplicate (without having to re-tag all my music):

Song One has most standard tags like Artist, Year, etc (but does not have an Album). Then has a tag called My_Type that is set to 'Shows', one called Venue set to 'Winterland Arena' and another called Location set to 'San Francisco, CA'

Song Two has all the standard tags. Then has My_Type set to 'Live_Comp', Venue set to 'The Stadium' Location set to 'Manchester, TN'

Song Three again uses all the standard tags. My_Type set to 'Album' and no Venue or Location tags.

These tags are all then used to create various playlists and to determine how tracks are sorted and displayed in the player layout.

Would there be a way to use lables to do the same thing?
anonbeat

Custom Tags

Post by anonbeat »

No the way you are using it but the result can be the same.
You can have labels Shows, Winterland Arena, 'San Francisco, CA', 'LIve Comp', 'The Statium', 'Manchester, TN'...

Set the appropate tags to the songs you want and you can filter from the labels list box or from the dynamic playlist

Always think that you can tag with as many labels you want
tberman333

Custom Tags

Post by tberman333 »

That may work. I will play around with it.

Thanks for the help.
dj_tobi

Custom Tags

Post by dj_tobi »

But nevertheless it would be a linux killer feature to get real flexible tagging...
afaik there is only one linux audio player that will allow you to use them: Quod Libet.
Ferdi

Custom Tags

Post by Ferdi »

I also would love seeing Guayadeque support custom tags (read/write and searchable, naturally). I have a lot of classical music and I'm particularly missing the 'Grouping' (which I use e.g. for solo instrumentalists in symphonies or solo voices in operas; I normally use the 'Artist' field for the orchestra playing the piece) and 'Conductor' tags. As these tags are not really standard I don't expect you to add them to the program natively, but if there were customs tags I could easily add them myself, and of course other 'rare' fields as well.