What is Gapless playback?

General discussions
camaron

Post by camaron »

tamalet wrote:I agree, for me gapeless is when there is no pause, but not fade in/out either.
What then if the pause (as it is usually the case) is built into the tracks themselves (at the end)?
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

If the silence is part of the song then it should not be removed. And yes, any (original) CD is gapeless even if it has silence, because the silence is part of the song.

What is not gapeless is like I said a writable CD. It's a problem of the media, you cannot remove the gap between the songs.
mr_hangman

Post by mr_hangman »

After reading the posts I now understand the points.
For me,
gapless playback - plays tracks without silent gap in between, regardless of the silence inside the tracks
silence detector - detects silent parts of a song (either at the beginning or the end) and removes or skips them

I personally respect the artists and prefer the unaltered tracks (if they are properly ripped).
The gapless playback is also important as I have a lot of live concerts with continuous tracks.
:)
camaron

Post by camaron »

tamalet wrote:If the silence is part of the song then it should not be removed. And yes, any (original) CD is gapeless even if it has silence, because the silence is part of the song.

What is not gapeless is like I said a writable CD. It's a problem of the media, you cannot remove the gap between the songs.
As I said the discussion is about terminology not features. If no one else disagree with this view then this is how I'll explain it in the documentation, I've not problem with that.

Anyway, for those who want to get rid of these few seconds included at the end of the songs (regardless of how they call this) in theory this is achievable in Guayadeque:

fade out=0
Silence detector=on (and configured properly)

Problem is: just now there is a bug that prevents this from happening; with fade out 0 the Silence detector doesn't seem to work.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

camaron wrote:
tamalet wrote:If the silence is part of the song then it should not be removed. And yes, any (original) CD is gapeless even if it has silence, because the silence is part of the song.

As I said the discussion is about terminology not features. If no one else disagree with this view then this is how I'll explain it in the documentation, I've not problem with that.

Anyway, for those who want to get rid of these few seconds included at the end of the songs (regardless of how they call this) in theory this is achievable in Guayadeque:

fade out=0
Silence detector=on (and configured properly)

Problem is: just now there is a bug that prevents this from happening; with fade out 0 the Silence detector doesn't seem to work.
This bug have been fixed
camaron

Post by camaron »

mr_hangman wrote: gapless playback - plays tracks without silent gap in between, regardless of the silence inside the tracks
That is my understanding, it would be nice to have other people's opinion.
mr_hangman

Post by mr_hangman »

camaron wrote:
mr_hangman wrote: gapless playback - plays tracks without silent gap in between, regardless of the silence inside the tracks
Sorry, I think I didn't explain it clearly.
By 'regardless' I mean it should not consider (detect) the silence in the tracks.
If there is silence in the songs, then leave it there.
Sorry for my English :)
camaron

Post by camaron »

mr_hangman wrote:
camaron wrote:
Sorry, I think I didn't explain it clearly.
By 'regardless' I mean it should not consider (detect) the silence in the tracks.
If there is silence in the songs, then leave it there.
Sorry for my English :)
I see; well, this kind of clarifies it as far as I'm concerned. :)
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

While talking about the silence detector I would like to ask you about how it works (I think that the documentation should be more explicit on this topic).

If I enabled the silence detector but I do not check "Only in the last x seconds", what should happen? Is it supposed to change to the next track as soon as the level(db) drops below the value specified, even if it's for one second?
If I enable "Only in the last 45 seconds" seconds and there is a song with one minute of silence at the end, will it play 15 seconds of silence?

I am testing with Something in the Way by Nirvana which has like 3 minutes silence at the end.
My testing was not very consistent. Could it be that I need to restart guayadeque for the options in the silence detector to be applied?
Any way I found a bug. If you don't have "Only in the last x seconds" enabled, after a few seconds of silence it skips to the next tack but when the next track is about to start is moves to next, and does the same until it finds the last track on the play list. I attach the output of the console.

I also would like to make a suggestion. Some files have a "hidden track", that is a track after a long silence. On the originial CD by Nirvana, Something in the Way is such a song (but on the mp3s I have it is splitted). I would like to something like "After x seconds of silence skip the remaining silence". Of course if there is nothing at the end it will just move to the next track as now, but if there is a "hidden track" it will play it.
camaron

Post by camaron »

tamalet wrote:While talking about the silence detector I would like to ask you about how it works (I think that the documentation should be more explicit on this topic).

If I enabled the silence detector but I do not check "Only in the last x seconds", what should happen? Is it supposed to change to the next track as soon as the level(db) drops below the value specified, even if it's for one second?
If I enable "Only in the last 45 seconds" seconds and there is a song with one minute of silence at the end, will it play 15 seconds of silence?

I am testing with Something in the Way by Nirvana which has like 3 minutes silence at the end.
My testing was not very consistent. Could it be that I need to restart guayadeque for the options in the silence detector to be applied?
Any way I found a bug. If you don't have "Only in the last x seconds" enabled, after a few seconds of silence it skips to the next tack but when the next track is about to start is moves to next, and does the same until it finds the last track on the play list. I attach the output of the console.

I also would like to make a suggestion. Some files have a "hidden track", that is a track after a long silence. On the originial CD by Nirvana, Something in the Way is such a song (but on the mp3s I have it is splitted). I would like to something like "After x seconds of silence skip the remaining silence". Of course if there is nothing at the end it will just move to the next track as now, but if there is a "hidden track" it will play it.
I can't reproduce that bug tamalet. What Guayadeque seems to do is it just acts on the level(db) value, regardless of where it finds it in the song. It doesn't skip anyt track here.

As to for the Preferences you don't need to restart Guayadeque, something I do appreciated .