how does one sort various artists albums

General discussions
embra55

Post by embra55 »

Hi there, love guayadeque, and in my opinion should be the default player for all distros. One thing I can't figure out though is to do with the sort order in the browser. For single artist albums it's fine, and does what it says on the tin. For multiple artist albums (various artists) it seems to do its own thing. An example would be a box set with 5 CD's and each disc is scattered across the browser. I've tried looking into the reason, and from what I can gather the first track on each disc seems be used, and placed in alphabetical order. This is further compounded if there are parenthesis in the title. I've looked through most of the posted discussions and help files, but couldn't find anything regarding this. I've been through all my music tags (used Ex falso & also puddletag), and the tags are okay.
Perhaps we need a means on guayadeque by which we are able to sort our music by album artist (whether single artist or various artists) so that all the albums of the same album artist are all together (especially various artists).
If there is a means of doing this then I seem to have missed it and I apologise. (By the way all other linux players seem to behave in the same manner).
Hope I've explained clearly enough, and I hope there's a genius out there who can help.
Thanks in advance.
embra55
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

The Browser tab (the one where you browse by covers) unfortunately does not support Album Artists. This has been requested a few times already. You could request it in the IdeaTorrent: https://sourceforge.net/apps/ideatorren ... eatorrent/ for other to vote it.

On the Library tab you can sort by Album Artist.

Guayadeque has good support for Album Artist and it's use is recommended for "Various Artists" discs. The only other difference with respect to Artist that I'm aware of is that you can add labels to Artists but not to Album Artists.
embra55

Post by embra55 »

Hi tamalet, thanks for your reply. Just after writing my post I found a thread relating to filters. I tried this and it's done the trick to a certain extent (i.e keeping the same albums together). This will a least give some semblence of order to my collection, and I can also us it for other categories.
I'll certainly go to sourceforge ideatorrent.
Once again thanks for your help.
anonbeat

Post by anonbeat »

I guess you are right. Guayadeque should use album artist when its not empty to sort it in the album view in the library and also in the album browser.

I will try to implement it for the next version and see what others think about it.

Thank for your help
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

I would really appreciate it!
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

I knew I had seen it before! Here is the idea: http://sourceforge.net/apps/ideatorrent ... t/idea/77/