Bug report + Suggestions

General discussions
Jodli

Bug report + Suggestions

Post by Jodli »

At first, I really want to thank your for your great work.
I was searching a very long time to get a music-program for my needs. And it took about three months, a hell of a search and about 20 programs to try until I found this one.
And its really, REALLY promising.
Sadly, there are not much linux-player out there which are intuitive to use (for me).

I have a few bug reports and suggestions, which I hope you could consider :)
I am using ubuntu 11.04 with gnome 2.32.1 (no Unity)

When I first installed guayadeque I had some trouble in rearranging the layout, because guyadeque crashed, when "the moving process took too long" (I guess something like that was the reason. It crashed several times while I was rearranging).
Unfortunately I cant reproduce that bug any more. Maybe its because ive restarted my computer now..?
That happened with the version from ubuntu repository (v2.8) and with the current version (v3.1).
As I read others have reported that problem too and it seems to be a problem with KDE environment. I am using Gnome, but as the problem seem to have solved itself, it seem not to be that serious...

Secondly, the general options "confirm closing" and "close into panel" (hope that are the right translations - german version: "Beenden bestätigen" and "Beim Schließen des Fensters im Panel minimieren") seem to have no effect in version 3.1 any more.
In version 2.8 I never tested the option "confirm closing", but "close into panel" worked very well.
Now (in version 3.1) the program always shuts down, when I close it (without any dialog) - except when the "integrate into sound menu"-option is activated AND I am playing music at the moment (terminal says: Indicators_Sound_Available() => 1)

There were no option to integrate guayadeque into sound menu in version 2.8.
So something must have changed there :)

And there are some little things, I would like to suggest :
Its not possible to have a taskbar icon and an integration into the sound menu the same time - not really neccessary, but it was kind of unusual for me.

My Smart Mode takes really long to add new songs (half minute, or so). Why is that so? And is there a way to speed that up?

I would love to have the possibility to change the shortcuts and set them also globaly. But as i see, shortcuts are a new feature, so maybe I only have to be patient :)

Again thanks for your great work.
Greetings from Vienna

Jodli
tamalet

Bug report + Suggestions

Post by tamalet »

Jodli wrote:When I first installed guayadeque I had some trouble in rearranging the layout, because guyadeque crashed, when "the moving process took too long" (I guess something like that was the reason. It crashed several times while I was rearranging).
Unfortunately I cant reproduce that bug any more. Maybe its because ive restarted my computer now..?
That happened with the version from ubuntu repository (v2.8) and with the current version (v3.1).
As I read others have reported that problem too and it seems to be a problem with KDE environment. I am using Gnome, but as the problem seem to have solved itself, it seem not to be that serious...
This is a known problem with the wxWidget toolkit. You can try running guayadeque with the option--sync when you want to rearrange things.
Jodli wrote:Secondly, the general options "confirm closing" and "close into panel" (hope that are the right translations - german version: "Beenden bestätigen" and "Beim Schließen des Fensters im Panel minimieren") seem to have no effect in version 3.1 any more.
In version 2.8 I never tested the option "confirm closing", but "close into panel" worked very well.
Now (in version 3.1) the program always shuts down, when I close it (without any dialog) - except when the "integrate into sound menu"-option is activated AND I am playing music at the moment (terminal says: Indicators_Sound_Available() => 1)

There were no option to integrate guayadeque into sound menu in version 2.8.
So something must have changed there :)
I can confirm this also on 11.10 beta. The option "Ask confirmation on exit" does nothing. Guayadeque closes if it is not playing always without confirmation. "Activate task bar icon" also does nothing.
Jodli wrote:And there are some little things, I would like to suggest :
Its not possible to have a taskbar icon and an integration into the sound menu the same time - not really neccessary, but it was kind of unusual for me.
This was discussed before and anonbeat pointed out that the specification for the Sound Menu said something about not having both at the same time. If I remember correctly in 11.04 Banshee also has both options but you can choose only one at the time. Oddly, in 11.10 you can also choose either "Notification Area Icon" or "Sound Menu Integration", but both add Banshee to the Sound Menu (there is no notification icon).
Jodli wrote:My Smart Mode takes really long to add new songs (half minute, or so). Why is that so? And is there a way to speed that up?
The smart mode does not look for new songs immediately, it does it about halfway of the song.
Jodli wrote: I would love to have the possibility to change the shortcuts and set them also globaly. But as i see, shortcuts are a new feature, so maybe I only have to be patient :)
You can change shortcuts. I'm not sure what you mean by globally. If you mean that the shortcuts should work even when Guayadeque is not the active window, then you should do that at the system level. For instance in GNOME you would have to edit the shortcuts of GNOME or Compiz and map the key combination to an MPRIS command, for instance
dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.mpris.guayadeque /Player org.freedesktop.MediaPlayer.Play
Jodli

Bug report + Suggestions

Post by Jodli »

Thanks for your answer :)
tamalet wrote: This was discussed before and anonbeat pointed out that the specification for the Sound Menu said something about not having both at the same time. If I remember correctly in 11.04 Banshee also has both options but you can choose only one at the time. Oddly, in 11.10 you can also choose either "Notification Area Icon" or "Sound Menu Integration", but both add Banshee to the Sound Menu (there is no notification icon).
Ok then I will take that. Its not that important for me.
But as I remember amarok, banshee, clementine and some others are having both at the same time (just tried).
Maybe thats new, or "not recommended". I dont know. I was only wondering.
tamalet wrote: The smart mode does not look for new songs immediately, it does it about halfway of the song.
And why? Because of performance? Is there a possibility to speed that up (maybe only when the list is nearly at end?) ? Because, even when my smart mode fills 10 songs, I still sometimes reach the end of the queue and have to wait until it was filled up again (I know, Im a skipper^^).
tamalet wrote: You can change shortcuts. I'm not sure what you mean by globally. If you mean that the shortcuts should work even when Guayadeque is not the active window, then you should do that at the system level. For instance in GNOME you would have to edit the shortcuts of GNOME or Compiz and map the key combination to an MPRIS command, for instance
dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.mpris.guayadeque /Player org.freedesktop.MediaPlayer.Play
haha sorry. I was always searching for a button, or tried to double click or right click the line, but nothing happened^^
Im sorry. My bad.

The system-level-shortcuts in gnome are a bit buggy with german keyboard and the win-key. So its a relief for me, if there was a built in option for my needs. But youre right. Thats my own problem, which I have to deal with. Only wishes :)

About MPRIS command I read for the first time. Thanks for that, I will see, what I can get out of this - after sleep^^

Besides, sometimes a songs is "unskipable" even though there are songs left in my queue (when that happens, nothing helps but to double click the next song or wait until the current track has finished playing).
But I cant find a way to reproduce that intentionally, right now.

Im not sure what causes that problem.
I think(!) it only happens, when there are only 3 songs left in my queue and there were a few songs before, which were played to the end without skipping.
So when my smart mode - as ive configured it - should fill my queue again (which it doesnt until next track is played, in this situation)
tamalet

Bug report + Suggestions

Post by tamalet »

About the icon notification, I also wouldn't mind having both. But I think that the icon that Guayadeque has is the old GNOME applet that does not work on recent versions of Ubuntu. I think that we still need an App Indicator. That would be a nice job for the community since anonbeat is quite busy with other changes at the moment.

Anonbeat once said that the smart mode does not look for new songs immediately because many things already happen at the beginning of a song (search all the data in last.fm, search for lyrics, scrobble, etc). Maybe this could be changed so that the smart mode triggers earlier, but that depends on anonbeat.

About your keyboard problem, I don't think that Guayadeque should include a way to do those key mapping globally because they depend on the environment and Guayadeque tries to be environment-agnostic. It should work in GNOME 2, GNOME 3, with or without Compiz, KDE, LXDE, etc. Maybe someone can do a script for a particular environment, but it should not be part of Guayadeque itself.

Regarding your bug report, try running Guayadeque from the console and when that happens copy the output.
Jodli

Bug report + Suggestions

Post by Jodli »

About smart mode:
I would prefer if its triggered earlier.
I dont use lyrics or last.fm. But a filled queue is very important for me. So for me (personally) it would be better if that other features have to wait, so that i am able to skip without fearing to reach the end of the queue.

About the keyboard-problem:
Yes youre right. I also think that dont rely on an environment, is much more important.

My bug-report:
Ok. It took me some time and I had to listen to same songs over and over again, but I finally found a way to reproduce that bug^^
Unfortunatly console didnt give any further informations.

I recorded everything, I think thats the easiest way to give you the informations you need.
http://quina.at/open_pics/bug.ogg

Ive opened my settingsmenu in the end of the recording, so you can see yourself.
The graphic-problems after closing the options-dialogue are only in the recording.
Ive cut out some waiting time.

What I found out:

I also tested, after ive switched "Follow Me" and "Angels and Devils" (and played "Follow me" instead).
I could reproduce the bug.
When I switched "Losing my religion" and "If it makes you happy" everything worked fine.
So it seems not to matter, which track is played, but the one after that seem to be important (maybe a few seconds silence in the beginning of the track..? Dont know. Didnt test that).

The position is important.
There must be 4 tracks left in the queue to cause that problem (if there are more or less, everything works fine - even if a track in the end was played and smart mode wasnt able to add new songs, everything works fine - so I have to wait until the queue is filled up, delete the new songs and jump back to reproduce this).
As you noticed, I first played "Follow Me" and skipped it to "Angels and Devils". I think(!) thats important too, to reproduce that bug.

Also it seems to be important not to jump while playing. I have to wait until the track has finished, or the bug wont occur.

After I restarted guayaneque, I was not able to reproduce that scenario with my current track-configuration anymore. So there are another factors ive missed so far (maybe that the queue has to be filled with smart mode..?).

But I could reproduce that bug in about 6 of 10 times in doing the following after a fresh restart:
(I bet that the "success" of that "recipe" depends on the song, that has to be played to the end)

Start a song out of the library (so that the queue will be replaced - that are my current settings).
After smart mode has filled up the queue (it should have filled the queue up to total 6 tracks - if not, restart) , skip the next 2 songs (so only 3 are left after the current one) and wait until smart mode has filled the queue again (there must be 5 tracks added, if not, restart).

Then skip the next 3 songs (so 5 tracks are left after the current one).
Now wait until this track has finished playing.
Just after the next track has started, skip the next track.
Voila!

Another things ive noticed:
Sometimes, when I start a song out of my library, smart mode sometimes adds less tracks than its told to, into the queue.

Sometimes, I have a short "glitch" around the first 10 seconds of a track. I think, that has something to do with receiving the lyrics (they seemed to be cached. And everytime I checked, there was a "Found the lyrics from source"-log in the console shortly before the "glitch").

The lyrics-tab isnt closeable with the "close"-Button. I have to uncheck it in the View-Menu

I hope its ok, that I am writing so much.
I try to shorten this down, but I always find something more, that could be important :)

Hope its helpfull
greetings
Jodli
tamalet

Bug report + Suggestions

Post by tamalet »

Thanks for your bug reports!. I'm sure anonbeat will look at them.

About the glitch, that's a know problem that happens when you save the lyrics in a file that is playing. It will happen only the first time you listen to a song since the next time it will be retrieved from the file. If you really want to avoid it, don't embed the lyrics. Save them to an external file or just don't save them. This can be done in the lyrics preferences.

I had no problems closing the lyrics tab.
anonbeat

Bug report + Suggestions

Post by anonbeat »

Thank you very much for your bug reports. I will try to check and fix them asap.

Right now Im working in a version that is quite different than that and I guess its better to wait till I commint the next change to check them and if they are still present fix them.

About the glitch tamalet is completely right. Its when lyrics are saved the position of the audio on the file changes a litle and this is why you hear that litle glitch. I will make for next version the current playing track will save the lyrics once it stopped playing.

Thanks again for your help