music library on windows partition

General discussions
balan

Post by balan »

I'm loving guayadeque, but I haven't yet learned all the ins and outs. One thing that I'd like to find a way around is having to rescan my entire music library (which currently resides on my Windows partition) every time I open the player. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
camaron

Post by camaron »

Have you unchecked rescan on startup in Preferences?
balan

Post by balan »

Thanks for the response, camaron. When I've tried checking that box, I don't have to manually rescan if I've merely closed the program--but I do have to if I've shut down the computer. And then I have to add the directory again--the program tells me that the directory is already in the library, but it won't find any music unless I add the directory again. I'm thinking that this is related to the music being located on the Windows partition, but I don't know.
camaron

Post by camaron »

My music is in a ntfs partition and don't have any issue.

I think your problem might be that your windows partition is not mounted automatically? Just a guess

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing: if guayadeque is set NOT to rescan automatically then, when you add new music, you DON'T rescan manually: you just update your library (From Library>Update Library).

Let us know
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

I agree with camaron. I also have my music collection on an ntfs partition and I also access it from another machines. Usually the problem is that the partition is not mounted.
If it is a local partition you can add it to your fstab to mount it automatically: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab
balan

Post by balan »

Sorry for the delay. I've been out of town and away from the desktop in question....Yes, camaron and tamalet, I'm pretty sure that you're right that my solution can be found in "simply" auto-mounting my nfts partition--but that's not turning out to be simple for me. I always appreciate links (like tamalet's) to helpful info, but editing fstab made me nervous, so I started looking around for simpler approaches. Among potential candidates I found "psydm" but couldn't get it to find my ntfs partition. Then I followed guidance I found here (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093) and succeeded in completely (as far as Linux Mint is concerned) wiping out my "OS" directory such that now I can't access anything on my ntfs partition from the linux partition. Further help greatly appreciated....
tamalet

Post by tamalet »

The first thing you have to know is the name of the device where your ntfs partition is. You can see a list of the partitions doing
sudo fdisk -l
Try mounting and accessing each partition until you find the one you want.
Then add to the fstab something like
/dev/sda1 /media/windows ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
where /dev/sda1 is the partition you want to mount and /media/windows is where you want to mount it.

I suggest that you search and ask is the Ubuntu forums about your problem. There you will find much more help than here.
camaron

Post by camaron »

I don't know what you've done with your partition, i hope you didn't format it.

From the Software Center install Storage Device Manager which is a graphical app. to do what you want.

Open the program and select your partition. You will know because it will say it is an ntfs file sytem. Click on assystant and click The file system is
mounted at boot time
Make sure that Mount file system only in read mode is not ticked. Click apply and reboot.

I hope this helps
balan

Post by balan »

Oh happy day! (I'm listening to Morphine from my freshly auto-mounted ntfs partition as I write this.) Here's what I finally worked out....I tried using pysdm (same as Storage Device Manager) on Linux Mint 11, but was thwarted as that program refused to find any partitions other than the currently mounted ext4--don't understand why....Then I haltingly tried to edit fstab, but succeeded only in de-stabilizing Mint, so I used that as an excuse to overwrite my ext4 partition with a fresh install of Linux Mint Debian Edition (which I've been very happy with on my new netbook). Chastened by my misadventures with fstab, I tried to re-install pysdm but that's not available in the LMDE repos. Casting about in the LMDE and Debian fora, I finally discovered "disk-manager." Then it was simple to open the program administratively and tick the ntfs partition to auto-mount. Incidentally, I also installed "ntfs-config" which enables read/write access to the ntfs partition, but I'm not currently needing that. Hope this helps someone else settle into using Guayadeque more easily 'cause Guayadeque is awesome!

Thanks camaron and tamalet for your input and encouragement!
camaron

Post by camaron »

Glad you are back to enjoying guayadeque :)